Dr Adi
Dr Adi, Professor
Experience:  Director of the Pediatric Diabetes Clinics at UCSF.
56602461

My dry heaving/wretching needs to stop. Why am I constantly

Customer Question

My dry heaving/wretching needs to stop. Why am I constantly doing this?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I am Dr Elliot and hope that I can help. Wretching can be caused by local causes such as reflux, a sore throat (bacterial and viral) as well as a Upper respiratory infection. It can also be caused by systemic problems such as liver or kidney issues.

How long have you had this for? Do you have any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Elliot!We spoke briefly before. I believed it was due to Anxiety but if that wasn't a factor I want to explore what else it could be as this is really effecting every aspect of my life.Ive had these symptoms for as long as I can remember, mainly in social situations. No other symptoms.
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, what else do you think it could be if this mainly occurs in social situations? Other underlying causes seem unlikely, a blood test would be useful to exclude and renal or liver causes, however in the absence of symptoms, what it could be is reflux related. Anxiety would certainly exacerbate acid symptoms, you don't need to have heart burn, but increase acid near the throat would very easily make you wretch.

An option to test this is by using a PPI (Omeprazole, Lansoprazole or Esoemprazole). You can buy low dose Esomeprazole from a pharmacy, but the other options and longer duration will need a prescription, I would suggest that if you try this, if at 2 weeks there may be some benefit, continue to 4 weeks and then judge if it helped at all.