Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

My daughter is 8 years and 9 months old and has been having

My daughter is 8 years and 9 months old and has been having vaginal bleeding since Thursday night
JA: The Endocrinologist can help. To begin, any recent weight loss/gain? Are you excessively thirsty?
Customer: It looks like a period
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your daughter's medical history the Endocrinologist should know?
Customer: no

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff. Thank you for your question. Please can you advise how much bleeding? if it is with urinating? and if she either has any abdominal discomfort, discomfort on urinating and/or passing urine more frequently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Doctor, it’s not associated with urination and there’s no discomfort either. It definitely looks like a period.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It’s not a lot of bleeding but she needs a sanitary pad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not look like a UTI

Okay thank you, ***** ***** my first though given her age. That would indeed sound like a period. The average age for starting periods is 13, although 8 is early, this can also be considered normal.

It may be worth discussing this with your doctor as given her age I would be tempted to do a few investigations first

However as she is well with it, you may prefer to allow the week and see how it progresses, if stops , see if it continues on a cyclical basis.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have spoken to the GP who said she made a referral. But also wanted to check what the cost would be like for investigation if I decide to go private? I do not have an insurance but i don’t want to take any chances.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would really appreciate if your help? Thanks.

Okay, not a problem. So your GP can request blood tests which can be done the same week and have results within 48 hours. The next thing is doing a urine test which the GP can do, and the a pelvic ultrasound - again the GP can request this but it could take a month.

It is difficult to get a private ultrasound on its own, as someone needs to request it, and interpret it.

Therefore you private option would be to see a Paediatrician. An initial appointment would cost your £150-£250. However the investigations could be done on the NHS.

If I was paying privately I would arrange the blood tests this week and book a private paediatric appointment so that you have these results prior to being seen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your advice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be something to worry about?

Thats my pleasure. Just checked, a private ultrasound would be about £120 depending on the provider/hospital used

Reading into it, no it shouldn't be anything to worry about. But although it is only considered pathological if <8yrs, I would still do the basic tests and get reassurance

Best of luck, I am sure it is fine. Please could you kindly click on the stars to rate my response to your question - this is the only way JustAnswer have of acknowledging my response.

Take care

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That’s very helpful. I shall speak to the GP tomorrow and get things going.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’m using the app and unable to find a way to rate your advice.

This should help reassure you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry found it.