sofia khan
sofia khan,
Experience:  Consultant Family physician with special interest in dermatology at Rehman Medical Institute
101501929

I took a private hormone blood test use a home test kit and

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I took a private hormone blood test use a home test kit and my testosterone levels are very low for my age. I took another test with the NHS and it returned the same result. My GP says it is within range but it is only just within range
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: I am in excellent health generally, I lift weights and do cardio 3-4x a week, drink lots of water, get 8+ hours of sleep every night and I don’t drink alcohol or smoke. I am 23 years old
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing else
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The most recent blood test attached

Thank you for contacting Justanswer.

My name is***** khan. I am board certified family physician with specialist training in dermatology. I shall try and help you today with your query.

Let me have a quick read through and I’ll get back to you shortly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Sofia,Just in case it’s relevant, my weight is 77kg and my height is 174cm.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also the detailed results from Medichecks (Finger prick blood test)

Ok thank you for bearing with me.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No problem

I have checked your blood test results. Basically your total testosterone is on thelower side of the normal, but still normal!

after that we check the free testosterone which has also come back normal. It shows normal androgen status.

Everything looks good on these results.

now looking at your lifestyle, its very healthy and your BMI is 25.4, which is just above the normal limit. Normal should be up to 25.

with low testosterone levels the greatest concern is hypogonadism i.e when you have testicular problems or problems in the brain due to which you are not producing enough sex hormones. It does not appear that this likley in your case as you would have noticed other symptoms too such as erectile dysfunctions, loss of body hair,breast discomfort etc.

I do not see any cause of concern here. You can just monitor it for now. repeat the levels in 3-6 months and check it in the morning on fasting. If you do however notice any symptoms of hypogonadism such as above then you should speak to your doctor.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there any way to increase my testosterone naturally?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do have a few symptoms
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1. Delayed ejaculation, I am sometimes physically exhausted by the time I finish (with partner)
2. Erectile dysfunction, while I am able to get erections, they do not often remain fully hard for long, usually around 60-70%
3. Poor memory, I have some trouble with short term memory and I tend to be forgetful

Ok in response to any recommendations!

There are studies that suggest that individuals who prefer Western-style food (bread and pastries, dairy products, and desserts), eat out, and eat fewer homemade foods, noodles, and dark green vegetables are more likely to have an unhealthy body composition (e.g., increased visceral fat and decreased skeletal muscle mass) and low serum total Testosterone levels, and are likely to develop hypogonadism.

There is a herbal remedy called Tribulus terrestrial, which has been used to increased testosterone and muscle mass, however the results are mixed.

Regular vitamin D supplements have been found to be helpful.

The above symptoms that you have mentioned could be due to low mood and reduced libido. The levels of your testosterone are not at the level where it would produce such symptoms. Is there any other stress or anxiety going on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for the dietary information, are there any specific foods I should avoid? I drink milk pretty often, should I try cutting that out? I will check out Tribulus and Vitamin D supplements and see how that goes. I am not notably stressed or anxious.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any recommendation on dosage for tribulus and Vit D?

dosage of tribulus, I don't know at the moment. you will have to do some research on it. and go for it only if you find any good reviews. check with holland and Barrett if they suggest any supplements containing this?

vitamin D daily recommendation is 400 it, easily available everywhere.

i did not come across any problems with dairy.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you for your help Mrs Khan, I have ordered the supplements you recommend and I will see what happens.

Thank you for the feedback.

good luck with the treatment.

Dr. Khan