Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I am just wanting to ball some ideas acrually I have a few

Customer Question

Hello I am just wanting to spit ball some ideas acrually I have a few symptoms and have had private blood tests which have come back with different hormones being out of range all the time. I just wondered without having to waste more money is there anything else that would I benefit from speaking to an endocrinologist or would something else be bettrr
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: I have had headaches more frequently during the last e months of lockdown
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have asthma and ezcema
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 18 days ago.

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff, I am a UK GP and happy to help. Thank you for contacting us today.

What symptoms have you been having please?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
My PMS for the last year has been laying longer I have Been having them 7 to 10 days before hand. My periods last 10 days usually. I am 28 . My thoughts become very dark. Like suicidal thoughts and very very tearful and emotional. I have. I am heavily overweight and can never curb my sweet tooth when going on a diet. I enjoy exercise but find myself wanting to stay in bed most of the time. I feel fatigued and tired. I have had blood tests for pcos both privately and via NHS. I have an ultrasound in 2 weeks. But I just want to feel the energy to do day to day activities
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I just find constantly that I have to push myself to do anything. I have been getting more headaches during lockdown as well.
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 17 days ago.

Thank you for your reply, I will just have a look

Okay thanks.

So firstly I am sorry that you are experiencing this. I would however suggest you do not need to see an Endocrinologist at this point, unless you want to go privately. However you will need a number of specialties if so, but your GP could help with all of these.

Your symptoms firstly require an ultrasound regarding your bleeding. Following on from this managing your periods with a combined contraceptive would help with this as well as PMS and subsequently your mood if so. If this does not help, then your mood should be addressed with anti-depressants if you are getting suicidal thoughts.

Your blood tests in August were normal including your thyroid test, however you have repeated only some of these in September which now shows that your TSH has risen. Therefore repeating this in another 4-6 weeks to see if you are developing Hypothyroidism. This would explain the mood and weight loss as well.

Unfortunately a sweet tooth is a but of a achilles heal, however unless you can overcome this, and there is no other cause to treat, losing weight will indeed be near impossible. However if you feel better with your mental health, you should find it easier to manage. You should also not consider it a diet, but a lifestyle change. If you curb your sugary food only to lose weight, it will come back if you return back to the same diet unfortunately.

I would ask your doctor to arrange a ultrasound pelvis scan, and repeat your thyroid function and see what it shows.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok. Thank you Doctor and what if the ultrasound came back normal. Also what should I ensure is tested in the next bood test. I am reluctant to try contraceptive as I was very sick and that is what caused me to become overweight to begin with. Thank you

If the ultrasound is normal then your option would be depending on your bleeding/symptoms. A mirena coil is an alternative. But if the main symptoms is PMS and low mood, try an SSRI such as Citalopram instead of a hormonal contraceptive.

Blood tests - I would ask to repeat your Thyroid Function Tests.