Khizra Naz
Khizra Naz,
Experience:  GP training at St helens and knowsely trust (Acute Worcestershire Hospital Trust, Ul
108331350

I suspect Cushings syndrome in my 12 years old daughter.

I suspect Cushings syndrome in my 12 years old daughter. Cortisol levels in blood and urine tests are in normal range but she has all other symptoms: moon face, fatty lump on the back of her neck, large purple stretch marks on the abdomen, thighs, breasts, arms, increased pigmentation on the skin: neck, armpits, groins... Her GP thinks that's normal (!), reluctant to refer her to endocrinologist. Clock is ticking, my daughters skin is so bad, literally breaking. I don't know what to do. HELP !!!!
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: More than a year, no numbness
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: My daughter has also low Hb and low vitamin D, both discovered last week.

Hello My name is***** will try my best to help you today.

And please ignore any phone requests, these are generated automatically by Just Answer beyond my control.

I am so sorry that you are going thorugh this.

That must be really difficult for you. When was the last bloods done?

When was this corisol checked?

Is she havign replaced Vit D?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Cortisol checked last week, she is taking VitaminaD capsules.

That's good. If cortiso levels are normal, it's highly unlikely that your daughter have cushing's.

Because it is not usually normal in cushings.

But if still not satisfied, I would advise that you ask him to short synacthen test.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Can GP refer for that test?

Yes, he can.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I will ask, then. The thing is, I have read somewhere that with the mild Cushings, the cortisol levels from blood and urine, can still be in normal range. What is your
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
What is your view on that?

Yes it can be. But we usually treat the numbers. I would advise that we need to get proper diagnosis before we can treat that.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
that's what I after- diagnosis? Because, if it's not Cushings, I have no idea what else could cause the symptoms...
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Are there any other tests to do to confirm/rule out Cushings?

If blood tests are abnormal, than Ct scan and salive testing can be done for this.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Well, looks as I don't have other options, than push GP for more tests. Will private pediatric endocrinologist see patient without GPs referral?

I think GP would refer to private endocrinologist .

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you for your help.

Can you kindly rate this consult 5, it would be appreciated.