Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

This is about oestrogen levels in postmenopause, I am not on

Customer Question

This is about oestrogen levels in postmenopause
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I am not on medication and I don't need to see a doctor but I need some explanation
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 15 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

What is your question on estrogen levels? How can I help you?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Basically, I believe I am postmenopausal as I haven't had period for 16 months. Just so you know, I am the right age for this to happen as I will be 51 in October this year. I've heard so many tales about what happens to oestrogen levels before, during and after the menopause and I need some advice from someone who knows about hormones. I had a blood test back in February this and my level was 586pmol. This is likely to decline because they say, in postmenopause it should be in the region of 100 pmol. Would you say that this is correct? Once it has reached this level it is likely to continue to decline? Does oestrogen continue to decline for the rest of a woman's life? I understand that oestrogen is produced by the ovaries mainly and some of it by the fatty tissue and adrenal glands. Someone suggested that in postmenopause, the oestrogen that declines comes from the adrenal glands and fatty tissue. Would you say that this is case? I was under the impression that once oestrogen has reached a very low level of around 100 pmol it stabilises and therefore stops dropping. I understand that menopausal symptoms are caused by a low level of this hormones but I cannot imagine this to be lasting until the end of a woman's life. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

Thank you for the reply. Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Someone suggested that the remaining oestrogen produced by the fatty tissue and adrenal glands is the one that declines in postmenopause. Would you agree to this? If so, how long can this contine for? What happens to the ovaries? Do they stop producing anything?

Estrogen levels in aging women are highly variable.

After menopause the ovaries continue to atrophy and eventually stop producing estrogen altogether.

As you have been told, estrogen is then produced by fatty tissue (adipose synthesis of estrone (E1)).

However, this capacity is variable.

In some women, fatty tissue synthesis can compensate well enough till a very old age, maintaining a steady level. But in other women, this is not so and estrogen continues to decline.

Hence there is a wide variability of estrogen in elderly women, with some continuing to maintain at 100 pmol but in most women it falls further than that with advancing age.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.
If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
it really depends on the woman
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry.. One more question. What is the impact of very low oestrogen?

Symptoms are not dramatic as in perimenopause.

During menopause, a woman's body transitions from a high estrogen level to a low estrogen level quite suddenly, and this causes a lot of symptoms.

But in the elderly, it is a transition from low to lower levels, and effects are not severe.

Still, there are studies now which are looking into the question of HRT for the elderly also.

Muscle and bone loss are the primary consequences, it is being studied as to whether other symptoms of the elderly like cognitive decline are also related to this.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks for your replies. This puts my mind at rest. By what you're saying, it varies immensely from woman to woman and this could be the reason why some women have severe symptoms while others have nothing. In order for a woman to protect herself from bone density decline and other diseases, she would need to take HRT for the rest of her life but GPs might not want to carry on prescribing it for long periods of time because of some health risks associated with it. I am thinking of doing a blood test once a year to monitor the my oestrogen levels but now I don't know if there's any point in doing this.

You can do estrogen levels every 5 years or so, if you have osteoporosis or high muscle loss, associated with low estrogens in your old age, you can ask for HRT.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have another question. I am not sure if this is correct but I've read somewhere that a decline in oestrogen can cause the thyroid and the adrenal glands to malfunction. Somewhere even went as far as blaming the menopause for diabetis as a decline in oestrogen affect the insulin. Is this correct? Does a low level of oestrogen automatically cause diabetis, adrenal fatigue snd thyroid malfunction? Do cortisol, insulin and THS eventually stabilise or do they become permanently imbalanced after the menopause?
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 10 days ago.

This is not proven, these are just speculations. If this was true, all elderly women would have been diabetic.