Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

I'd like some advice on whether going on Birth control might

Customer Question

Hello, I'd like some advice on whether going on Birth control might be a good option for me, and if so which the best form is. I am obese and have been since a young age, I have always suspected this to be hormonal as I live an active and healthy lifestyle but cannot lose any weight no matter how hard I try. I do not have periods and haven't done in many years, though very occasionally (once every couple of years) I will get some bleeding. I'd like to know if birth control may help with my symptoms, such as weight loss or regaining my period.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 16 days ago.

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Good Evening
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 16 days ago.

I am sorry to hear this, on a separate issue I would recommend you checking your thyroid function.

So indeed obesity can increase your risk of stroke a venous thromboemolism with a combined contraceptive, therefore an option for yourself would be the mini pill, the implant or Intramuscular injection. Therefore the options would depend on your preference.

The options of birth control would however not help with weight loss, would allow your period to continue, but they do cause irregular bleeding for up to about 3 months after starting them.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you for this. Last time I saw a doctor for these concerns I was tested for PCOS and Thyroid, both came back as not ideal, however they didn't deem it bad enough to have any further treatment. Which I thought was a bit unusual but this was a few years ago. My major concern with going on to a contraceptive has always been the risk that I will gain more weight, while researching various contraceptives all of them seem to have this listed as a potential side affect so this does worry me. What would you recommend as the least likely to cause this problem
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 16 days ago.

So if you have PCOS, metformin (a drug used in diabetes) can be used for weight loss. You should also repeat your thyroid function.

There is the potential risk of gaining weight but it is trial and error to see. Alternatively a barrier contraceptive or a non hormonal contraceptive such as the copper coil would therefore not cause this risk for you.