Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Specialist
111381268

How can I lower my Ferritin levels? Mine have recently

How can I lower my Ferritin levels? Mine have recently become quite high at 397ug/L (I believe recommended range for women is <200ug/L).I don't take Iron supplements or anything. My Iron level is at 30.43umol/L and my Transferritin Saturation is at 49% (I attach full recent blood-results for your reference).I'm just not sure how I'm supposed to reduce my Ferritin-level, or stop it increasing any further?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
File attached (G5225Z2)

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. There are a number of things that can raise a ferritin level. It actually also rises in any acute infection so may be a temporary thing. Have you had multiple tests showing a raised ferritin level?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
actually the last few blood-results have showed raised Ferritin. My last few blood-results (spaced 2 months apart) showed Ferritin at 197, 240, 297. So there's been a gradual increase over time. Don't have any acute infection that I know of. As you will see from attached file, my WBC level is okay at 7.6, so does that possibly rule out any infection risk?

If multiple blood tests spread out over time have shown a raised ferritin level and I note transferrin saturations are near the upper limit then I would ask your GP to refer you to see a gastroenterologist to ensure this isn't a condition where iron metabolism is affected (haemochromatosis). It's rare but does have specific treatments that help you absorb less iron.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay thank you I think I will do that. Only other possibility I can think of is that I've cut out a lot of carbs and grains from my diet in the past year (and according to this study, even this could possibly raise Ferritin: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4742315/). Have you heard of low-carb diets increasing Ferritin before?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
P.S. The reason I cut out a lot of grains/carbs is to help me lose weight, as I'm overweight.

I understand, I'm doing Keto right now. No changing your diet like that is unlikely to be a cause.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay thank you. I mean, the Ferritin level of 397 - is that in itself a concerning figure? (I don't have any noticeable symptoms by the way).
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
On the one hand I'm happy to turn a blind-eye to it. But on the other hand, make sure I'm not missing anything that requires any urgent attention.

No the figure itself doesn't concern at all. It's almost certainly innocent but is worth getting haemochromatosis ruled out.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay thank you. Great job, I will rate you now. P.S. I highly recommend the keto diet - as it's helped reduce HbA1c level from being in the diabetes range, in addition to achieving fat loss.

Oh thanks very much that's made my day :) I started off losing a few lbs but got a bit lax with it so need to get back to it! Wishing you the very best for the future.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you - one other tip is to get ketosis-testing urine-strips (Amazon sell them) - that way you know you definitely are in ketosis and that the diet is working. I test with them first thing every morning. Second tip I would give you is make sure you don't over-do the Protein (which is a mistake many make). Protein should be at a moderate, not high, level - ideally less than 60g a day. Carbs should ideally be less than 20g a day. Which means that you need to make the diet high-Fat as possible (so roughly 50% Fat, 30% Protein, 20% Carbs). Foods like Avacado, cream instead of milk (in tea/coffee), plain butter (unsalted organic), coconut oil, clotted cream, dairy-whipping spray, are all great foods for keto.