Dr. Saleem
Dr. Saleem, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Two years experience of internal medicine also adept in the diagnosis and treatment of endocrinology related disorders.
23101880

My thyroid was normal end of march, 5 weeks later my tsh was

My thyroid was normal end of march, 5 weeks later my tsh was 0.01 and t4 38pmol/l. The only thing I did was take the contraceptive pill for 2 weeks then stopped for 3 weeks when I started taking the pill again I started having hyperthyroid symptoms so. Can the contraceptive pill cause hyperthyroidism,?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Been referred to endocrinology but not taking anything yet
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have been taking chinese medicine for over 2 years. I've stopped everything now which seems to have improved my symptoms slightly

Hi! I am Dr Saleem. Welcome to JA.

Thank you for the question. I will be answering your query shortly.

I understand your concern.

Oral contraceptive pills are not linked with hyperthyroidism and this was a mere coincidence in your case. The most common cause is Graves disease which has an autoimmune basis and your doctor can ask for specific blood work to find the cause your overactive thyroid.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Can it go away by itself? My symptoms have started improving after 2 weeks

If the cause is thyroiditis then it may go back to normal after few weeks. Graves doesn't go back to normal on its own in most cases.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Is there a way to find out which one it is

Yes there is. Inflammatory markers are raised in thyroiditis and antibodies are elevated in autoimmune hyperactive thyroid disease. You doctor can certainly make a differentiation after some blood work.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Can I still exercise? My resting heart rate has increased from 75 to 85 and can go to 120bpm when I go up the stairs at home. Is the heart symptoms just because of the condition Or x?can it cause illness in the heart if left for a long time? My appointment isn't until September.I also had alot of palpitations and shortness of breath in the first 2 weeks which has been alot better the last few days

Weren't you advised any beta blockers to control heart rate?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Not by my gp and my appointment with endocrinology isn't until September

You should contact your GP again and ask them about beta blockers to keep the heart rate in check. Your heart rate is not alarming and you can still perform moderate exercise.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
What would be an dangerous rate? Is it safe to wait till September without beta blockers?

I would not wait till September. Dangerous rates are much higher in the range of 140 and above at rest.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Also can I take hrt? I have been taking it since I was 20 but came off recently for about 10 months and want to go back on.I have premature ovarian failure

You should wait to restart HRT till you see the endocrinologist.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Are beta blockers safe to take

Yes they are. More importantly they are indicated in your scenario.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
What inflammatory markers would you test? I might have to do these blood tests privately

I would like to test ESR, CRP and also look at Total leucocyte count.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your help today

My pleasure :) Hope you stay well.