drphophalia
drphophalia, Doctor
Experience:  Do adrenal, thyroid and parathyroid surgery regularly.
5625079

I am desperate for some advise on this issue. I am

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: Hi, I am desperate for some advise on this issue. I am experiencing chronic tightness and throat tension in my throat which hasn't gone away for two years. Last week I was referred for an ultrasound which indicated that I have a 'mildly enlarged' and 'heterogenous in echotexture' which "may indicate a degree of thyroiditis." I don't have any other symptoms other than tension in my throat - is this a common condition and can it be treated?
JA: How severe is this?
Customer: severe in what sense?
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

Thyroiditis is a common condition. It will require thyroid function tests and thyroid antibodies. This is an easily treatable medical condition.

I wish your symptoms resolve soon.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you so much for your reply. I have suffered this problem for so long please could I seek some further information as I'm not sure when I will hear back from my doctor after my ultrasound and I am incredibly anxious.

You are very welcome.

As mentioned, you would need blood work for antibodies and T3, T4, TSH (thyroid function tests). You may be prescribed thyroxine (thyroid supplement).

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
thank you! is it common to experience chronic throat tension without any other symptoms and if so is could it have been caused by smoking?

Smoking may not be responsible. Acid reflux can be the culprit.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
is it common to experience the tension and tightness without any other symptoms?

Yes, it is not uncommon.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
thank you for your assistance

You are very welcome.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

It was a pleasure to assist you.

I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today!

Stay blessed.