Zee J
Zee J,
Experience:  Expert
113630574

I just bought these hair vitamins and I'm a guy and I was

Customer Question

I just bought these hair vitamins https://www.vitabiotics.com/products/perfectil-original-tablets and I'm a guy and I was concerned about the iron content per tablet its 12mg and I know the recommend about is around 8mg. I run and workout but I've heard how having too much iron is bad foryouas men can't excrete iron or something like that. So I was wondering what I should do ? Is it a bad idea to use them ? I was thinking I could take the vitamin every second day so it would kind be like me getting 6mg iron each day via the supplement. I don't know any help would be great !I do not want to overdose on iron because too much iron can causes oxidative stress. I regularly get about 6mg iron from my diet but because my diet doesn't consists of a lot of meat i thought maybe this multivitamin will help a little with that and also zinc and ect because i read how plant iron is less bioavailable and accessible. overall if i take this supplement and i follow my healthhy diet accoring to cronometer food log i get about 18mg iron. Hope you can help me.
Category: Endocrinology
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
File attached (3Z63PVS)
Expert:  Zee J replied 20 days ago.

Most people do not need to take vitamin supplements and can get all the vitamins and minerals they need by eating a healthy, balanced diet.

Many people choose to take supplements but taking too much or taking them for too long could be harmful. The Department of Health and Social Care recommends certain supplements for some groups of people who are at risk of deficiency like in pregnancy or who have vitamin D deficiency.

If you think that you already taking your daily requirements from food then better not to take extra vitamins

Plus:

The heme iron found in meat and animal products is generally more easily absorbed by the human body than the non-heme iron found in plants. However, Dried beans and dark green leafy vegetables are also very good sources of iron, even better on a per calorie basis than meat. Iron absorption is increased markedly by eating foods containing vitamin C along with foods containing iron. Vegetarians do not have a higher incidence of iron deficiency than do meat eaters.