Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  Have wide experience management of all endocrinological problems, especially diabetes and thyroid hormone problems
1725470

I just bought these hair vitamins and I'm a guy and I was

Customer Question

I just bought these hair vitamins https://www.vitabiotics.com/products/perfectil-original-tablets and I'm a guy and I was concerned about the iron content per tablet its 12mg and I know the recommend about is around 8mg. I run and workout but I've heard how having too much iron isbadforyouas men can't excrete iron or something like that. So I was wondering what I should do ? Is it a bad idea to use them ? I was thinking I could take the vitamin every second day so it would kind be like me getting 6mg iron each day via the supplement. I don't know any help would be great !I do not want to overdose on iron because too much iron can causes oxidative stress. I regularly get about 6mg iron from my diet but because my diet doesn't consists of a lot of meat and is mostly plant based and I know there is a difference in absorption regarding heme and non heme iron. i thought maybe this multivitamin will help a little with that and also zinc and ect because i read how plant iron is less bioavailable and accessible. overall if i take this supplement and i follow my healthhy diet accoring to cronometer food log i get about 18mg iron which I'm worried might be too much. Hope you can help me.
Category: Endocrinology
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
if I log my diet including my diet and this supplement I end up getting around 18mg iron
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 14 days ago.

Welcome to justanswer.com

I am Dr. M.D.Mazumdar, an MD with more than 20 years experience and I am happy to help you today.

I’m sorry to hear about your problem.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

-How old are you?

- What symptoms do you have?

- What other medicines, if any, are you on?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
im 24 and healthy and take no other medicines. I take this hair skin and nails supplement only

The entire iron in supplements are not absorbed from the gut.

Most people absorb only about 10% of the iron supplements they consume.

And around 18 per cent of the available iron from  the diet.

So, although  the amount of iron you take may seem high, the bio-availability is quite low and will not affect you in any way.

Please go ahead and take the supplement daily.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
why do they recommend men should get 8mg iron ? Also I have attached the picture of the multivitamin and was hoping you could tell me how safe the other minerals and vitamins are.

The requirement is 8 mg after absorption, not from the diet.

The other vitamins are quite safe.