Zee J
Zee J,
Experience:  Expert
113630574

I’m looking for an endocrinologist to answer a question for

Hello, I’m looking for an endocrinologist to answer a question for me.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: yes I have but don’t get any answers from specialists and it’s about my baby
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: he has reoccurring hypoglycaemia

Hi there kindly answer following questions for further advice:

Age? Male or female?

Past medical history?

Any medicines using?

Smoking and alcohol?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
2 years old. Male
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Reoccurring Hypoglycaemic
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
PEG fed, suspected dumping syndrome

Why on PEG feeding?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Did not feed since birth
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I cannot call as I don’t have the £34 but desperately need answers as no one understands at our local hosptial and are asking me to not treat his hypoglycaemia

Dont worry it is an automatic button

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay

What are the sugar levels when you say hypoglycaemia?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
he doesn’t have diebetes but have hypoglycaemic episodes multiple times a day after feeds or during his night feeds. His sugars also go really high to 16.8. He can go low drop to 1.2 but mainly around 2.4
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The hosptial we are in at the moment have said they do not have the skills to care for jesse. They have asked me to leave his hypos for 30 minutes even if he goes to 1.2 unless he gets symptomatic. But Jesse does no longer get symptomatic even with a sugar of 1.2.Does hypos cause damage to the brain as he has them multiple times a day

I think it is not a good idea to have hypos

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Does it cause damage to the brain? And what is classed as a low blood sugar in a child who is not diabetic
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
File attached (6ZZPVSV)

If you are suspecting dumping syndrome which is common in PEG feeding then usually requires slowing of the rate of feeding or a change in formula. Although whole protein, complex carbohydrate feeds can be infused at low volumes. The addition of complex carbohydrates (eg, cornstarch) can reduce rapid glucose shifts and "dumping" symptoms that occur in patients given standard intragastric feeding regimens

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
should I be treating his hypos straight away at 3.0?

the normal range for plasma glucose is 3.9 to 5.6 mmol/L

in children

Any sugar below 4 is hypo

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
In non diabetic?

Hypoglycemia is defined as a plasma glucose concentration low enough to cause signs and symptoms of brain dysfunction (neuroglycopenia). Because the response to hypoglycemia occurs across a range of plasma glucose concentrations and signs of hypoglycemia are not reliably identifiable, especially in young children, and vary among individuals, hypoglycemia cannot be defined as a single plasma glucose concentration.

So I would say for you better to keep above 4 or at least 3.5

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you! Jesse has global development delay. He never shows symptoms. Only when he is high.
I’m concerned about his brain as he is low a lot of the time. Does these hypos have affect on the brain function?

Hypoglycemia may result in brain damage so we need to treat and prevent them

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
You have been very helpful. Are you uk based?

You are welcome. Yes

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Where abouts in the uk? I am London based and want to have a private face to face consultation with an endocrinologist.

In London you can find many Endocrinologist in Spire and Nuffield hospitals. Please find the nearest one

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for your help.