Zee J
Zee J,
Experience:  Expert
113630574

I am female, 30 years of age. I will be relocating to UK and

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I am female, 30 years of age. I will be relocating to UK and wanted to find out if Growth Hormone for adults is covered by the NHS. I was diagnosed with craniopharyngioma in 1994 which was treated with surgical excision only.
Multiple pituitary hormone deficiency was diagnosed post surgery and I have been on hormone replacement therapy since. I have taken growth hormone since then and continue on a low dose as an adult. Currently, bones are fine as is everything else but doctors wouldn't want me to stop growth hormone for bone density, metabolic and psycho-social reasons. I am wondering how likely or unlikely it is that NHS will approve growth hormone.
JA: Any recent weight loss/gain? Are you excessively thirsty?
Customer: ^^
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: All information is above
Category: Endocrinology
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I can see this is the NICE criteria:
Recombinant human growth hormone (somatropin) treatment is recommended for the
treatment of adults with growth hormone (GH) deficiency only if they fulfil all three of the
following criteria (as listed in NICE TA64).
• They have severe GH deficiency, defined as a peak GH response of less than <3ng/ml
(<9mU/L) during an insulin tolerance test or a cross-validated GH threshold in an
equivalent test.
• They have a perceived impairment of quality of life (QoL), as demonstrated by a
reported score of at least 11 in the disease-specific ADGHA-QoL questionnaire.
• They are already receiving treatment for any other pituitary hormone deficiencies as
required- In terms of the first question, what would the threshold be if it was done with IGF-1 test? Or would it be another test? Also if my current levels are based on having a low dose, would I have to stop growth hormone for a period for this test?
- Criteria 2, that's a self answered questionnaire correct?
- Criteria 3 I fulfill as I am on full hormone replacement therapy
Expert:  Zee J replied 4 days ago.

Hi there I might be helpful

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
That would be much appreciated
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I don't want to switch to a live phone call
Expert:  Zee J replied 4 days ago.

No problem we can talk here

Expert:  Zee J replied 4 days ago.

Where are you at the moment and where you were diagnosed with GHD?

Expert:  Zee J replied 4 days ago.

Means diagnosed with hypo pituitary?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I'm currently in South Africa and will relocate to UK
I was diagnosed with multiple hormone deficiency in 1994 post the surgery including GHD. Yes to hypopituritism
Expert:  Zee J replied 4 days ago.

Have you been registered with NHS UK before?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
No, I will only register once I arrive. I want to know the likelihood of NHS covering the growth hormone
Expert:  Zee J replied 4 days ago.

If you have hypo pituitary and fulfill the criteria as you have already read about it NHS will support you.