How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask drphophalia Your Own Question
drphophalia, Doctor
Category: Endocrinology
Satisfied Customers: 59110
Experience:  Do adrenal, thyroid and parathyroid surgery regularly.
Type Your Endocrinology Question Here...
drphophalia is online now

I had an ultrasound as a result of an enlarged goitre. The

This answer was rated:

I had an ultrasound as a result of an enlarged goitre. The sonograph said that it looked like I had Hashimoto's disease. However my bloods came back within 'normal range'. I am not sure what was tested but over the last 4/5 years I have been very fatigued with significant weight gain.
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: poor
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have pcos (diagnosed by scan). I was successfully treated for skin cancer.

Ultrasound has limited sensitivity and specificity (low diagnostic value) for diagnosing Hashimoto. You may need thyroid antibodies to diagnose Hashimoto.

Fatigue and weight gain need investigations for;

Thyroid disease

Connective tissue diseases

Chronic anemia

Chronic infections like Epstein Barr virus

Endocrine diseases (Addison disease).

Chronic fatigue syndrome

Myasthenia Gravis.

You would need the following investigations:

Complete blood count (CBC)

Liver function tests

Thyroid function tests

Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR)

Serum electrolyte level measurement

Immunoglobulin M (IgM)/immunoglobulin G (IgG) coxsackievirus B titer

IgM/IgG human herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6) titer

IgM/IgG C pneumoniae titer

Autoimmune panel

Anemia panel.

I hope your symptoms resolve soon.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.

drphophalia and other Endocrinology Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** blood test came back as positive, is this relevant? If I also have lower back weakness (more than two years) which can be helped with ibrofophen. Would this be part of the picture and should I be seeing another type of doctor other than an endocrinologist?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you - should I only see an endocrinologist? Is there another type of doctor I should be seeing?

Thanks for talking on the phone.