Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

My daughter has been experiencing spells of cold sweats,

My daughter has been experiencing spells of cold sweats, feeling ‘out of it’, sleepiness, feeling faint and finds being in heat makes her worse. It’s really bad up until about 10am every day when everything settles down. Last year, she had a massively heavy period and was hospitalised. Since then these symptoms have been going, along with lower abdominal Pain during the month. She’s had blood tests and she’s not diabetic but we’re wondering if her hormone system has gone wrong
JA: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?
Customer: no fever - just cold sweat
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: After her bleed last year, she fell pregnant. She was unaware of it at the time and the doctor put her on the pill which made her really I’ll. When she found out about the pregnancy, it was terminated

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani. I have 17 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I am currently reviewing your question.
Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Customer: replied 13 days ago.

I am typing some questions.

1. May I know her age please?
  2. Has she been evaluated for hyperthyroidism?
  3. Any history of mono infection in the past?
  4. Any history of seizures?
  5. Is she anemic?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
She’s 18, thyroid has been checked and is ok, no history of any infections, no seizures and not anemic. She was a perfectly fit and healthy, athletic, girl
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I don’t want a phone chat as I’m at work so messages are easier
Hi...I am sorry for your symptoms.
Episodes of generalized sweating, occurring either during the day or night (or both) is a common presenting symptom in primary care.
Night sweats (sleep hyperhidrosis) are episodes of generalized hyperhidrosis that occur during sleep and may range in severity from moderate diffuse sweating to drenching sweats that require changing bedclothes and even bed sheets. An overheated room or too many bed coverings may be a simple cause for an increase in sweating at night, but sweating in these circumstances does not necessarily represent sleep hyperhidrosis.
There are many conditions which can cause night sweats and I will tell you each and symptoms each presents with.
  1. Infections can present like this especially tuberculosis and atypical mycobacterial infection. Others for bacterial, fungal and viral. But they all have fever and they do not present with night sweats alone.
  2. Malignancy can cause similar symptoms especially lymphomas and solid tumors like thyroid cancer, prostate cancer, renal cancer and germ cell tumors.
  3. Certain medications can cause night sweats and we need to think about this if you are on antidepressants hormonal medications like oestrogen or androgen modulating agents, oral antidiabetic drugs and antihypertensives like beta-blockers and alcohol can also cause this.
  4. Certain endocrine disorders like menopause in women and in general hyperthyroidism, pheochromocytoma which is an adrenal tumor and very low sugar levels along with diabetes insipidus can cause night sweats.
  5. Neurological conditions like autonomic dysreflexia and autonomic neuropathy and strokes can cause this.
  6. Other common conditions which do not fall into any specific category could be gastroesophageal reflex, obstructive sleep apnea, sarcoidosis, chronic fatigue syndrome, mastocytosis, food allergy, panic disorder and alcohol withdrawal and substance abuse with withdrawal can cause this.

May I suggest you discuss these possibilities with your primary care physician and get yourself appropriately evaluated and managed please.
I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you today!
Is there anything else where I can be of assistance to you in this regard please. We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Hello, the premium request of phone call was a system generated prompt and was not initiated by me.
I am sorry for the inconvenience. I would be glad to continue here please.

I wish her an early recovery!
I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you.
In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime. You’ll have the option to do that on your “My Questions” page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can add me as a favorite Expert then type @ followed by my name in your next chat.
You can approach me directly at the following link please -
https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800
You need to start your question with my name referred as Dr Amperayani only.