walkereng
walkereng, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Structural Engineer with over 30 years of experience.
61772417

I need someone to interperate some soil test results

walkereng :

I can help

walkereng :

Can you attach a copy of your data to the chat window with the paperclip in the toolbar?

walkereng :

Let me know when you come back online.

Customer:

Customer:

I dont have the results yet, they are still in the lab, but when they come they will look something like this (I will attach)

Customer:

Would you be able to interperate those reults and give a conclusion on whether the soil is contaminated

Customer:

I am building a house on the site

walkereng :

let me print this out and take a look.

walkereng :

So this is just a sample, you said? When will you be getting the actual results?

Customer:

I will be getting them tomorrow afternoon. Unfortunately I need the analysis asap

walkereng :

so you are just looking a soil contamination issues, not bearing issue?

Customer:

sorry what does bearing issue mean?

Customer:

What I'm needing is the figures analysed and a conclusion drawn up against them to say if any of the levels are above acceptable levels - in which case remediation measures would need to be taken

Customer:

I'm confident that there isnt any contamination, but I still have to do this!

walkereng :

this is usually something the test lab will do for you. They usually put the limits of each contaminant.

Customer:

I see...well I belive the the report will be pretty much identical in structure to this one, and I'm just concerned that if I present it to an environmental officer will he be able to make a decision from it?

walkereng :

The key is to know if any of the controlled substances are in excessive concentrations

walkereng :

Is there a suspicion of a specific contamination?

walkereng :

what the site previously used as a dairy or a manufacturing facility?

Customer:

Was used as a garage to service coaches - this ceased 30yrs ago

walkereng :

Before we get started I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the project.

I should be able to give you a good idea of contamination. The information provided is meant for planning purposes only and is based on the information provided by you.

walkereng :

Let me know when you get the report tomorrow and I will look at it right away.

Customer:

OK, thats fine, i can attached a phase 1 desk study and a site investigation report that ive had done

Customer:

Ideally I should be using the company that did these two reports to do this phase 2 intrusive investigation, however they have let me down, and we're coming close to the deadline, so I've had to try another route

walkereng :

I can switch over to the Q&A format and then I will send you an e-mail right away. It will go to the e-mail address you gave the site when you signed up. Just reply to that e-mail so I know you got it and then you can attach your report to the e-mail as a reply tomorrow. Make sense?

Customer:

yes fine - thanks

walkereng :

I am going to switch over right now, look for an e-mail.

can you see my e-mail?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

my email address may not be listed, as it said this one has already been used, as I have used justanswer before, but i couldnt log in?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes i have two emails, one saying ive just answered and the other ive responsed

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will pick up on this again tomorrow

I received you e-mail, so we are fine.

Just reply to this e-mail tomorrow with your attachments.

I am in the US on East Coast time, so 5 hours earlier than you.

Talk to you tomorrow.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK this is great if you can help, however do you understand the UK legislation on these levels for residential properties etc, or should I be speaking to a UK specialist?

I was going to compare the levels to those of the Federal Residential Standards set by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in the U.S. If any of your values are near these thresholds, then you would most likely need to get a local expert.

Let me know if that works for you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No sorry, for the purpose of this it needs to be compared against UK - can i find a local expert on this website?

I do not think there are any Engineering Experts in the UK on this site. Do you have any documents that give the threshold from the UK Environment Agency? I looked through their site and could not find an list of threshold amounts.
I just found their page with values.

Here is the web link

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/research/planning/64015.aspx

Take a look.

I can use these values for the various materials.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK those details will be helpful I'm sure, I have also got the completed report that went with those lab figures I gave you - you may be able to get the thresholds off there.

I have tried to upload it but it wont work for some reason?

try sending [email protected]
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK sent.

Got it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I do also have the phase 1 desktop study and report of a site walkover, if I havent sent these to you already, I can do it you think it will help.

yes, go ahead
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have sent the desktop study and site walkover report through

got those.

I am starting to look the information over.

There is a significant amount of date to review here, when do you need you need my information by?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will receive my report on the soil samples from the lab in the next hour, and the report needs to be with the environmental officer by midday tomorrow (19hrs from now)

OK.

After my review of the data you provide, I will be replying with my general observations of the data. I will not be providing you with any report.

Is that what you are expecting from me?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes I guess so. I understand that you are not going to be able to do a full report like the one I sent to you, but I need to know how my figures stack up against the thresholds etc.

I can do that.

I will be able to get you the information this evening, Eastern Time.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Attachment: 2013-08-28_160037_48877_report.pdf

Excellent - and here is the report - straight from the lab

OK,

I will print it out and start looking at it.
Is there any site plan that shows where the two test borings were taken?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes please see attached.

Attachment: 2013-08-28_161701_trial_pit_locations.pdf

This is helpful too

http://www.contaminatedland.co.uk/std-guid/icrcl-l.htm

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

are you still on the case?

I should be done within about an hour, at the latest.

Attachment: 2013-08-29_010251_compare_soil_values_to_threshold.pdf

Attachment: 2013-08-29_010319_background_papers-_pages_8_thru_10.pdf

I have inserted my comparison above of your Chemtech Soil Data you received today with the Threshold values that were established in the November 2010 Background Report by Solmek.

Based on those threshold values, all of your new soil report values are well below the threshold for each of the tests. It appears that the two test pits do not have any contamination issues.

Let me know if you have any questions.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating
button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Just wanted to make sure you received my information.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Let me know how things went.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

sorry it wont let me chose a face - they are greyed out

See if you can Rate my answer now.

Any Luck?