How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask walkereng Your Own Question
walkereng, Bachelor's Degree
Category: Engineering
Satisfied Customers: 2943
Experience:  Structural Engineer with over 30 years of experience.
Type Your Engineering Question Here...
walkereng is online now

As a draughtsman I need to draw an entrance drive cut into

a bank and need to... Show More
a bank and need to show a sectional view with the correct levels represented.
Is there any new GPS technology that I can use to plot the levels.
I am aware that you can get a 3D plot via google earth but the detail for the levels would be too inaccurate for this small area.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Engineering
Show Less
Ask Your Own Engineering Question
Satisfied Customers: 10
replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Thank you,
walkereng, Bachelor's Degree
Satisfied Customers: 2943
Experience: Structural Engineer with over 30 years of experience.
replied 2 years ago.
You are correct, there is not a real accurate way to do that with a Google Earth or aerial GIS image for just a driveway.
To be accurate, you would need to go in the field and take some surveying shots to get your baseline elevations then work from there.
Sorry there is not an easier solution.
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply

Can you explain the process in a little more detail please.

walkereng, Bachelor's Degree replied 2 years ago.
You do not need an entire survey, you just need relative elevation shots right near the area you want to draw your cross section.
This surveying equipment is very costly, but you can look for companies in your area that may rent it by the day.
Here is a weblink to the type of equipment you would need:
With this equipment, you will walk around your site and and place the pole at the locations you need an elevation from and then click a button to collect that point. Once you have done that, you can use their software to download the point data and import it into a CAD program for plotting.
Your other option is to get a local surveyor to come out and do some really quick data collection for your localized area and they can send you the file to import in your CAD system.
I hope this helps.
If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each appropriately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Sorry for the delay in responding but thank you for your response again.

Can you explain to me what relative elevation shots are and how to get them. Also can one use simple surveying equipment taking heights from

a datum point. If so what is this equipment.

The high tech equipment is far too expensive to hire.