How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thegonnec Your Own Question
Thegonnec, Industrial Tribunal Judge
Category: European Law
Satisfied Customers: 1441
Experience:  15 years experience as a judge with Paris Industrial Tribunal
Type Your European Law Question Here...
Thegonnec is online now

I am 68 years old and I am living in the UK since 1966. This

Customer Question

I am 68 years old and I am living in the UK since 1966. This is the year I arrived to this country from Poland, in 1968 I gave up polish nationality and became British Citizen by registration. Through all my life I was bound to respect English Law. I have 2 brothers living in Poland but my parents are now deceased.My mother died 10 years ago and did not leave a will.But what I did not realised that she left some debt by taking up a lone in 1998 and giving this to my younger brother( who building a house),my younger brother and his wife signed all the documents along with my mother and my older brother guaranteed the lone.
Now after 10 years of my mothers death, the collecting agency and the court,according to polish law says that children are responsible for parent's debts.My brothers gave my name and my UK address to the court and I received the polish courts ruling that because I am the daughter I should pay 1/3 of the debt. I did not sign anything and I didn't know that I should denounce within 6 months of my mothers death any inheritance.To me how could I know about polish law while I am living in the UK. My question is : am I bound by polish law and in my case can the English Court up held the ruling of Polish Court?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: European Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for contacting

It was brought to our attention that you asked a legal question about Poland, where we do not have active professionals. As much as we would like to assist you, we have to be honest and say that the best we can do is maybe to provide a legal Internet researcher who might be able to find your answer. We realize that option is not ideal, and we always want to provide our customers with the best possible answer.

At this time, we'd like to give you the option of leaving your question open. Keep in mind that you're never obliged to accept an answer that you're not satisfied with, and you can try it out before you accept. Or, we can close your question page for you, if you prefer.

Please let me know how you’d like to proceed,

Expert:  Thegonnec replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately, no one can claim ignorance of the law. If you accepted any inheritance from your mother upon her death in Poland, you have also accepted any outstanding debt in Poland too.
The creditors and their collection agency will have to go through the English court system to make their claim good. They will only do this if the amount due is worth their time and legal cost. But if they do, in most cases, the British courts will confirm the judgment. EU regulations made cross-border debt collection much easier.