JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

One final question tonight. He signed a statement saying he

One final question tonight. He signed a statement saying he owed me the sum I am claiming but sent his defence to the court saying he cant remember signing anything and he didnt realise the money was a loan, he thought it was a gift I guess. It was to pay a vets bill, buy and car and pay for holiday flights. I have all the documentation to prove I paid these bills and him and my daughter were equally liable. She is going to pay me back monthly. He says he doesnt owe it. Am I likely to win this case in court.

My view is yes you will win it. You have to prove your case in the civil court - the burden of proof is only 51% so you just need to show that this was "likely" a loan (not a gift).

There is a strong implication that this was a loan. So my view is you won't have a problem proving your case and winning (getting a county court judgment) against him.

I hope this helps.

Jim