JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I have moved back to the uk from mallorca. I had a contract

Customer Question

Hi Pearl.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I have moved back to the uk from mallorca. I had a contract made in Mallorca in spanish infront of a notary and a Judge with my ex partner made up in 2013 about maintence for the children. I have recieved a claim form from the county court bussiness center saying that she wants to take me to court to pay £12562.99. I want to contest this and because my earnings and situation have changed I need the Old contract annulled and a new one put in place. I have always paid my maintence every month apart from August when I have had the children. There is more to it but I am trying to give you a picture to see if you can advise me. I live in Cornwall now and so does she. I have moved here so that I can be closer to my children.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: I have tried to find a lawyer but have been unable to find one that will take the case. I spent 3 hours on the phone on friday talking to the citizens advise bureau. most of that time was on hold. They said they would email me details of some lawyers but have not sent anything. The claim form is demanding a reponse but I am afraid to do it incase I get it wrong.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She is claiming that I have not paid the inflation on the monthly payments. In the contract it states that in 2015 it was supposed to be reviewed but never was. No other review has been done ever. She is also claiming the month of August even though I have had the children. How does a spanish contract work in England? and can I annul the old contract and get a English one? I am unable to not pay her this sudden claim but also need a new contract because my earning have dramatically changed. Can you help me?
Category: European Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

You won't get a law firm to help on a no win no fee agreement as they cannot recover their costs for a claim that size. You need to fill out the response pack (see attached) - I presume you want to defend the claim. You will see the boxes to tick and the section to fill out the defence - you just need to say why you dispute the claim being made against you. You are a litigant in person so no legal terminology is required as such. If you want to upload it for me check then no problem. I presume she has a UK address to be able to sue in the UK.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (the top right of your screen & then click “submit”), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim

I hope I have helped.

Before you go please don't forget to rate the answer by clicking the 5 stars on screen and clicking “submit”.

Many thanks,

Jim

Morning, is there anything else I can help with?