Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I have a property I purchased in Bulgaria a few years ago

I have a property I purchased in Bulgaria a few years ago without discussing it with my wife first.
I now want to sell but have been told I need my wife's permission she doesn't want to take anything to do with the purchase, how do I sell it

I have been asked to look at this for you. I apologise if I am delayed getting back to you over the weekend because I am only online and off-line sporadically at weekends. Nonetheless, I am online at some time every day.

There is no problem with selling this unless Bulgarian law is different.

You don’t need your wife’s permission if she is not on the deeds which you cannot be if you did not discuss it with her in which case, you simply go ahead and sell it. Absolutely straightforward.

If I have answered your question for you, at the top of the page, you should see a rating facility. Can you please rate my reply 3 stars or more because that really helps me? Please note you are not rating whether it’s favourable, because sometimes you may not get the answer you want, but basically my knowledge and way of dealing.

The thread does not close and I am happy to answer any questions you may have arising from this.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I was asked at the time of purchase if I was married but did not have to provide proof etc of her identity or the marriage

Thank you. It seems that there is some quirk in Bulgaria that regardless of whether wife is involved in the purchase or not, you still have to have her consent to sell.

You would however need to speak to a Bulgarian lawyer about that.

However this probably tells you the situation:

https://trifonov.info/en/property-resales/

at paragraph 1.

I must admit, I find this absolutely bizarre but you have it from the horses mouth.

It would seem therefore that you are going to have to have her permission and signature shouldn’t be a problem if she doesn’t want to take anything from the sale