ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

I paid a 350 gbp deposit for work to be carried out at my

I paid a 350 gbp deposit for work to be carried out at my house. The overall cost of the work was to be 880 gbp. This was on 7 February and the company advised immediately carrying out the work as they predicted further extensive damage to the house would occur if not undertaken. No work has been carried out at the house and for the last 3-4 weeks I have had no reply to phone calls or emails. I've decided to make an application to the small claims court in the UK for the return of my deposit. Also there has been much inconvenience, the damage to the house is getting worse and whilst waiting for the work to be done I could have contacted other companies and had the work completed. I believe I can claim for this and need advice on how to estimate the extra cost over and above the original 350 gbp deposit.

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be able to assist

In order to claim these additional loss you would have to obtain a minimum of three quotes from builders. This should show whether there has been any additional damage to the property since the work was to have been carried out and the cost to complete the repairs. You should then claim for the most conservative of the quotes.

Hope I clarified things for you. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Kindly take the time to indicate your acceptance of the answer given. You may do this by clicking on the stars at the top of the page.

All the best

RL