james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

In 2009 January my grandmother was knocked down by a car in

In 2009 January my grandmother was knocked down by a car in Southampton, it was a hit and run incident, she took the same route with her husband every day for the past 55 years, so would have been safe. Southampton police have never fully closed the case. Family members of mine dealing have since passed away. How should I proceed?

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.
Was your grandmother killed in the hit and run?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
She was seriously injured and in ICU on life support for many months. She was rehabilitated and my grandfather was found dead in his premises within a month. She then lived with her children, my aunt was handling the case has since died as has my uncle. My remaining two uncles my mother have done as much as they can to chase the police and I have tried to chase the outcome to no avail over the years. I would to know where to start. I was advised by Hampshire police to source a Freedom of Information file.

I am very sorry to hear what has happened.

Unfortunately, being a hit and run and 11 years ago, as upsetting as it may be, I would imagine that the case is no longer being investigated. The case may still be officially open as unresolved, but very unlikely after all this time to be able to find new leads.

That said, the police do revisit old cases that were very serious.

You indeed try and make a freedom of information application. However, if the actual case is still officially open, then it would be very unlikely that you would be supplied information on an open investigation.

I have attached a link below that you can follow from the Information commissioners office, this explains the process for making a request. There is also a template letter there that can be used. https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/crime/#:~:text=The%20Freedom%20of%20Information%20Act%20gives%20you%20the,find%20out%20how%20to%20make%20a%20request%20here.
You would request the information from the local police force, in this case Hampshire Police. https://www.hampshire.police.uk/

As the incident took place in Southampton, you could also write to the Area commander in charge at the station there, enquiring if indeed the case is still open, or whether it has been closed due to lack of new evidence or leads.

Also on a slightly diff end approach. I would have thought that the incident made the local papers when it happened. If so, you could contact them. Explain all what has happened since the hit and run and that the person responsible has never been brought to justice. It is possible the local paper could run a human interest story on the incident and call for people to think back Incase they have information. This has worked in the past, even bringing those responsible forward due to guilty conscience.

Hello, I am just following up on your enquiry to see if I can assist further. Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi, thank you I shall proceed with the above contacting the local station, my cousin was dealing she also unfortunately passed away.

Very sorry to hear that.

Take care and good luck.

Do come back if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I will look into the above and come back to you.

Thank will be fine. Take care.