SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I am a Thai National. I have graduated from Carol Davila

Hello, I am a Thai National. I have graduated from Carol Davila University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Bucharest. I also just formed a civil partnership with a British national whom I have been in a relationship with for 2 years. I am now in a process of applying for a UK spouse visa to join and live with my partner in the UK. Because I'll be living in the UK with my partner, I want to register to the UK GMC. On their website, it says that in case of a spouse of the UK nationals, I can apply to the GMC with enforceable community rights. Do you have any information or advice on that?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I haven't files any paperwork with the UK, except the civil partnership certificate. Now I'm in Thailand and have a Thai citizenship. I am about to apply for a UK spouse visa to join and live with my partner in the UK.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the family visa?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing else, Thank you

Hi, thank you for your enquiry and patience. If you are coming on the spouse visa and not as a dependant of a person who is subject to immigration control in the UK then you will be fine to apply to the GMC once you have your spouse visa, there is no limitation on what work you can do. However not knowing what exactly you want to do you will have to check with the GMC if the qualification you have will require you to sit some conversion exams. I hope this helps and if I can clarify further do not hesitate to send me your follow up question. All the best.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Do you have any information on applying to the GMC with enforceable community rights?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
thank you for your previous answers.

Hi, thank you for your follow up questions. I am happy to respond. if you are a Thai national and the person you are with is a British citizen as opposed to an EEA national ( for immigration purposes please not British Citizens are not considered as people with community rights in their own country) so any of the provisions would not be relevant to you. Unless you have dual Thai and EEA nationality I can get you the guidance on the enforceable community rights.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you so much for your answer. According to the information given on the GMC website, it states clearly that we can apply through this route when we are a family member of a British national. https://www.gmc-uk.org/registration-and-licensing/join-the-register/before-you-apply/enforceable-community-rightsUnfortunately, they don't give much details on the website. Do you know any more information? Or do you offer any legal assistance related to this?Thank you

Hi further to your follow up question, you would not be applying as a family member of an EEA national as explained above. You would only qualify as an exempt person on the grounds of being a family member of a UK national if you and your partner are returning from an EEA nation where you would have lived together as a family for two years. So you cannot be coming from Thailand. The assessment is similar to the Surindher Singh route for applying for settled status in the UK as a family member of a UK citizen who is returning to reside in the UK from an EEA country.I can speak to you on the phone if you need me to clarify anything further and if you still need further guidance after that I will be able to provide you with links to where you can retain solicitors to assist you. I am glad I could help. I will send the call offer to you should you want to talk. All the best.

SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience: Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you so much for your help and offer. I think it is clear now. I hope you have a good weekend.