james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

My friend has my computer files on his computer and will not

Customer Question

My friend has my computer files on his computer and will not give them to me after 6 months of waiting, however I am worried with going to the police as he sells IPTV illegally with all the sky channels, Disney channels, Netflix as well as over 1000s of movies and TV series which he spends downloading everyday to over 115 customers and ifvthe police went to his property they will see several large servers running all of this at his front door. Do the police take this type of crime seriously if I report him?
Category: European Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 19 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

If what he is doing is illegal ie pirate copying etc, then yes that is treated seriously and the police will investigate if reported.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I'm just worried that he will take my files and delete them if the police do nothing , or if I tell the police the situation they will take his computers ahd confiscate them and I will.l9se my files that way.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I'm just wondering whay would the police do in this situation?

Sorry, you are asking me to second guess what he might do.
If police  seize computers they should not delete your personal files, only any illegal items.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Sorry I just meant would the police be able to give me my files I they did end up taking his computers?

If you can show evidence they are yours. But they would not download them to disks etc for you, that is not there job.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
OK thankyou

Your welcome.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I do have one last question is a warning or a caution classed as having a criminal record?

It would give a police record and appear on DBS, but not a criminal conviction.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
OK, does that stay with you fir life as when I googled it, it said after 6 years you no longer have a criminal record?

It is not a criminal record.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Oh I thought they were the same thing

A criminal record is convictions, a police record happens when anyone is arrested etc.

A caution would appear on the DBS