Lorens35
Lorens35,
17897874

My fiance Santiago Maya was detained on the 4th September,

My fiance Santiago Maya was detained on the 4th September, in Istanbul Airport for suspect of money laundering due to carrying excess cash on him. He have prove that it is life savings but the turkish immigration service still have his belongings.
JA: What steps has your fiancé taken? Has he filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country does your fiancé live in? If different, what is his citizenship?
Customer: He worked with North oil rig Ireland, he is an American citizen
JA: Has your fiancé talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Yes,
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have contacted U.S. Embassy to help him, but they want to label him as a scammer. The last conversation I had with them was to investigate and sort out my fiance Santiago Maya.

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 35 yrs and a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009.

This question is, understandably, important to you, and it is important to us that you get an accurate answer, as quickly as possible.

If it is ok with you, let me take a minute to review your question. I will post a request for further information or answer shortly.

While I review, feel free to provide additional facts/information, if any.

Please know that I will endeavor to respond immediately to every follow-up you post, but I am occasionally required to step away or assist other customers, and that may delay my response. Thank you for your patience!

A bit more information would be helpful so that I may give you my best answer.
Have you ever met your fiance in person, face to face, or has all contact been online or by phone?

Why was he traveling with his life savings in cash?

What does he do for a living? Is he successful?

Also, why was he traveling through Istanbul if his rig was in the North Sea and he was from the US?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I think I have caught up in a scam, as I reflexed,
I have never met him in person, we were trying to meet up.

Posted in error.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

To answer your question, you are positively being targeted in a very common online romance scam that we see dozens of times a month.

This person is not from US and has no intention of ever meeting you in person. He is not working on an oil rig. He is not in custody, or under arrest. If they want you to send money to Istanbul it is because they are from there and have always been there.
Usually, they want you to start getting use to sending them small amounts of money so that they can gradually increase the requested amounts.

The only purpose this person has in maintaining a relationship is to use you for a steady income stream and get as much money from you as they can before they disappear.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

Do not continue corresponding with this person. They will say whatever they think is necessary to keep you on the hook. Block them from your phone and social media. This person is a criminal and deserves no explanation.

You can report this to the FBI online at www.ic3.gov

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Did you have any further questions about this?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No more question, Thank you for being frank with me and I have a hard lesson.

You are very welcome.  Thank you for using JA and  best of luck.

Please do let me know if you have further questions that come up about this.

You can request me, exclusively, for future questions, at the following link:

https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lorens35/

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Are you still able to verified if this person is in the Turkish Custom service custody?

This person is not in custody, and never was. You were being targeted in an online romance scam.

Did you have further questions about this?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** will close my case