How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: European Law
Satisfied Customers: 15443
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your European Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I need advice regarding travelling in the EU from the uk.

Customer Question

I need advice regarding travelling in the EU from the uk. ive been in the EU for roughly 80 days and i im aware my 90 day period is ending before i have to leave for 6 months. is there any way i can extend my say? Thank you
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No lawyers have been contacted. I live in the UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: this is the first
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I just need advising and help
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: European Law
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It looks to me like i will have to leave and go back to the UK. apply for a visa there then i can return
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 10 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now. I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 10 days ago.

The 90 day rule is stringent in the sense that if you have no visa, you are only permitted a maximum 90 days in any 180 day period.

If you overstay by even one day, you will be banned from entering any country within the Schengen area.
You would have to leave the EU country you are in before the 90 day period expires - if you over-run then upon exiting the country, your passport will be stamped (possibly with the wording "illegal immigrant") and show an over-stay which means you will be banned for 3 years. It is not worth the risk - some countries are more strict than others but as I say, even 1 day over will trigger the possibility of a fine, deportation, and a ban. To be in the country legally for more than 90 days you would need a suitable visa - which visa depends on your situation and whether you want to work, travel, or retire.
I realise this is not the answer you wanted - you are welcome to ask a second opinion on this site if you wish, at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you Jim. Appreciated!
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 10 days ago.

I hope this answers the question. If you have any follow up questions then please do let me know.

Many thanks,


Expert:  JimLawyer replied 10 days ago.

Just a final note that I am free most days and would be happy to assist with any other queries you may have.

Best wishes,


Customer: replied 10 days ago.
You havent given me any help jim?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
please help me
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I cant call. i need you to advise me using messaging here
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 10 days ago.

Hi, sorry, I have given you my answer - have you read it?. Apologies if it's not the answer you wanted but I can't give you false information. If you can please let me know how else I can help.