james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

My natwest bank account was closed in 2019 and I've been

Customer Question

Hi there
My natwest bank account was closed in 2019 and I've been unable to open an account elsewhere since. What should I do?
Category: European Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 17 days ago.
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter. 

Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.

What was the reason for the account being closed?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
In 2019 it’s seems as if I was used as a money mule. My last memory of my NatWest account was me helping out a friend that didn’t have an account for whatever reason withdraw £200. This was shortly after I finished university when I was out of work and exposed to not very nice people. I’m currently a mortgage coordinator understand and realise the importance of these check. I earn an honest living but in struggling to build up my credit as I am unable open account anywhere or even pay off direct debits

Thank you for that additional information, that will be helpfull in allowing me to advise you today.

From what you have explained, it appears that back in 2019, you misused your bank account, and allowed a friend to use it.

This is not allowed, and the back can indeed suspend or close the account and place you on the CIFAS system and a warning to other banks and lenders etc.

The marker would remain on the system for 6 years.

You can ask the bank for a final review and decision to see if they will remove the marker, if they refuse, you can then ask the financial ombudsman to look at it

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Oh dear, this isn’t very good news.
Yes I heard somewhere it might take a couple of years until I can get it back. I’m obviously a lot more aware of what could cause such a huge set back and have no intention of letting such happen again. I appreciate you taking out your time to give me the best advice. So I can directly contact NatWest to find out when the marker ends??
ask the bank for a final review then if they leave the market in plsce you can ask ombudsman to look
Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.