How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: European Law
Satisfied Customers: 4379
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your European Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I am thinking investing in a property in Portugal with a

Customer Question

Good morning. I am thinking investing in a property in Portugal with a view to obtaining a “golden visa”. When I was a kid (over 40 years ago now!) I was given a Conditional Discharge for joint TWC (taking a motor vehicle without the owners consent). Will this bar me from purchasing a property and obtaining a visa/residency?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I live in the UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have read the guidelines pertaining to applying for a golden visa in Portugal
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no thanks
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: European Law
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 9 days ago.
Hi welcome to justanswer
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 9 days ago.
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 9 days ago.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 9 days ago.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok. Thank you. In addition to the time which has passed since my juvenile brush with the Law, I subsequently became a Police Officer for nearly 30 years (fairly recently retired)…I don’t know if this will help my situation?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 9 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. A previous conviction so long ago should not affect you being able to apply for the property. The fact of you being a police should work positively in your favour. This will show your good character.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 9 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you. It’s just that (having done some open source research) having seen a similar question asked by a golden visa applicant (and answered by a Portuguese lawyer) it appeared that I would not be eligible to apply for the golden visa scheme. I just need to make sure that I’m not going to waste thousands of pounds trying to undertake a pointless process. Thanks again. Chris.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 9 days ago.

Hi Chris, to be eligible your criminal record check should not disclose this conviction. If it does then you are likely to have some issues.