T_Graham12
T_Graham12,
28732269

The Consumer Rights Directive (CRD) regulates contracts

Customer Question

The Consumer Rights Directive (CRD) regulates contracts between traders and consumers. It defines three types: contracts concluded outside the trader’s business premises (off-premises contracts); contracts concluded using distance communication such as telephone and the internet (distance contracts); and on-premises contracts.
The Directive sets out rules related to the consumer’s right to withdraw from off-premises and distance contracts. These include that a consumer can do so within 21 days, without giving reasons, and cannot be subject to any penalty.The Directive had to be implemented by 1 December 2019, which Malta did by passing the Consumer Rights Act 2019 (CRA). The CRA states it applies to all three forms of contract as defined in the Directive but contains no provisions relating to consumer rights of withdrawal for off-premises and distance contracts.On 1 December 2021, Alessia, a Maltese resident, telephoned the company, ‘Virtue Solaris’ (VS), and entered into a distance contract to purchase solar panels. A week later, Alessia lost her job. She immediately contacted VS to say she could no longer afford the panels and was informed withdrawal from the contract required her to pay a penalty of 70% of the original cost.Explore the EU legal principles that may be relied on by Alessia in the Maltese courts to potentially enforce rights stemming from the CRD.
Category: European Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 5 days ago.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 4 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today. I am the expert who shall assist you with this opportunity

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist ifi in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 4 days ago.

Thank you I am just looking through this for you now.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 4 days ago.

Is this a student question?

Expert:  RJM Law replied 4 days ago.

As that seems to be the case I am afraid I cannot assist with this, but I wish you all the best.

Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 4 days ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Tetyana-moderator