Solicitor4All
Solicitor4All, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I need help to understand the banking system in the UK. Can

Customer Question

Hello I need help to understand the banking system in the UK. Can your account really get frozen due to unpaid taxes?
Category: European Law
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 15 days ago.

A very good day to you there, how do you do?

My name is Solicitor4All a law expert with over 15years practice. I will be helping you this morning. Thank you for the inquiry.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hello. Thank you.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I just needed help to understand the banking system in the UK. It’s for a friend I’m helping. I have been asking if maybe he could sort of seek help on a legal perspective
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
His account got frozen last December back due to unpaid taxes and unexplained transactions. And a lot of things happened. He got questioned by the IMF and anti terrorism to which he was able to sort out few months back. Which by the way is it even possible?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He paid a lot for the certifications working on to clear his account. And when he eventually was able to produce explanations of all transactions, the bank told him that his account is somehow like partly active. Enabling him to withdraw just £3,000 every 3 days. Because his account has been questioned he cannot really transact fully just yet
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
This is the part where I’m a bit confused. Although I’m living In another country. My understanding is your account can only either active or inactive. Is it possible to have such situation In the UK?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Still here?
Thank you very much for your patience: if the account was frozen for unprofessional text and the tax bill is less than the money in the account then whilst the investigation is ongoing and to ensure the account holder does not end up facing extreme financial hardship the bank yes will exercise its discretion and allow some access but not all access. They know that full access will mean an account holder could withdraw all the money and then the freezing order becomes useless. They could really close it completely until investigation is complete but allowing partial use is a positive.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. We are always glad to assist and clarify anything. All the best.