How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. A.S. Desai Your Own Question
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2475
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. A.S. Desai is online now

My wife is 76. She is virtually blind in one eye and has a

Customer Question

My wife is 76. She is virtually blind in one eye and has a blocked tear duct in the other.
She has tried the usual eye drops without success.
She has been referred to an ophthalmic surgeon for surgery.
What is the probability of losing he eyesight in this eye as a result of the the surgery being unsuccesful?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

A blocked tear duct , also called as chronic dacryocystitis (CDC), is best treated by surgery called as DCR or dacryocystorhinitis. This surgery creates a bypass by letting the tears flow into the nose bypassing the blocked part. However this surgery does not cause any reduction in the vision. I can understand her apprehension regarding the surgery but DCR does not cause any reduction in vision whatsoever.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist