How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. A.S. Desai Your Own Question
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2475
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. A.S. Desai is online now

Asking friend.. Eye a bit swollen.. bloodshot in the

This answer was rated:

Asking for a friend.. Eye a bit swollen.. bloodshot in the inner corner with a slight tinge of yellow. Been affected for 5 days.. Eye drops used three times (Visine: non-antibiotic i think) which didnt help.
I can upload a picture which i think would be easier!
Hello,Thank you for the question.Yes, it would help to see the picture of the eye.I need to ask a few questions here.Is there a history of eye trauma or injury?Any insect bite? Any known allergies?I look forward to your replies. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Thanks for your reply. No history of eye trauma or injury. No insect bites or no known allergies.

Hope the picture helps.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Thank you for the picture.give me a few minutes so that I can give my answer.
From the picture it looks more like an inflamed pterygium. Pterygium is a type of degenerative change which occurs in the white part of the eye . It can occur due to exposure to UV radiation of sunlight, exposure to dust and wind. It remains like a very slowly progressive whitish wing shaped growth( slightly elevated). However it can sometimes get inflamed and appear reddish. I would suggest your friend to use sun protective glasses when outdoors, use a lubricating eye drop such as Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day. If the redness persists for more than 5-7 days then do get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist for start of anti-inflammatory eye drops such as Fluoromethalone eye drops.
If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
It is better to ask your friend to stop using Visine eye drops as they only get the redness out of the eye without addressing the underlying problem.
Hello Darren,
I noticed that you have viewed the answer but not replied back. Is there something else that you need to ask or clarify? Were you looking for something else in the answer? Please let me know. I look forward to your reply.
However please do remember to rate the answer if your question has been answered satisfactorily.
Thanks and best wishes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your time, knowledge and patience. Last question: will the antibiotic drops you advise actually help with removal of growth? Or is that only achieved via surgery?

Many thanks.

I have suggested the use of lubricating eye drops( Refresh tears) which is not an antibiotic eye drop but helps to soothe an irritated eye by maintaining the tear film. Surgery is not required in your friend's case as there is no encroachment of the cornea. On using the Fluoromethalone eye drops the inflammation will subside and the redness will disappear but the slightly elevated yellowish lesion will persist.
Dr. A.S. Desai and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you