How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. A.S. Desai Your Own Question
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2475
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. A.S. Desai is online now

I have a shadow on the right side of my right eye so I have

Customer Question

I have a shadow on the right side of my right eye so I have to turn my head to see. Can you tell me what is wrong?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.
Hello,Thank you for the question.It would help to know for how long the symptom has been there . Whether it was sudden in onset, any history of wearing glasses or contact lenses for long and your present age.If the symptom has been gradual in onset and apart from the shadow on the right side, the vision in that eye is as good as before, then it is most likely to be due to posterior vitreous detachment(PVD).In this condition the thick gel at the back of the eye( called vitreous) gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion. Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals. Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field.More often than not, it is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers.In case this symptom of shadow has been sudden in onset with blurring of vision in the right eye ( such as looking through a curtain or veil) it must be evaluated in detail by an ophthalmologist. Sudden onset of shadow in one part of the visual field with blurred or foggy vision especially in short sighted individuals might be due to retinal detachment(RD). If you cannot get access to an ophthalmologist at the earliest then ER is the best choice.If neither of these is noted on an eye exam then it would be best to get a visual field exam done. It can help to detect any peripheral scotomas( non seeing areas in the visual field). If present , then a neuro-ophthalmologist opinion would be better so as to detect any optic nerve lesion or visual pathway lesion.If there is known history of hypertension or diabetes, then they must be kept under good control.If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist