Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.
25407765

My husband took our 6 years old son to his routine

Hi Doctor,My husband took our 6 years old son to his routine appointment at the hospital. He was diagnosed with Vernal Keratoconjunctivitis 2 years ago and currently on Opatanol, Ciclosporin and today a stronger steroid was also prescribed (Mavidex) as he again had a flare up while on FML drops. His allergy mostly on the limbal region. The doctor told them that this is actually better. My husband didn’t ask why it is better to have it there and I wasn’t there to ask.Is it really better to have limbal VKC than the other forms?

Thank you for the question. I am Dr.Desai, certified ophthalmologist and eye expert at JA.

Vernal keratoconjunctivitis is a form of allergic conjunctivitis and affects young children, mostly boys. The severity varies from individual to individual. Milder forms involve the conjunctiva and limbus whereas the more severe forms can cause corneal involvement such as corneal ulcer. This could be the reason why your ophthalmologist referred to it as better. However there is nothing like limbal is better than other forms. It totally depends on the severity and corneal involvement.

I hope your question has been answered satisfactorily. Do remember to rate this response positively as that is the only way experts are credited for their work and time.

Thank you and best wishes

I am available here to answer any follow up questions you may want to ask.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He is on regular eye drops and we take him to the doctors when there is a flare up. Is there anything else we must do to prevent any permanent damage to his vision? I am really scared and stress a lot about the risk of a permanent damage.

It is indeed stressful to the parent. If possible try to identify the allergen which could possibly causing the flare up. Try to avoid exposure to that allergen. If it aggravates with season/outdoor activities, avoid outdoor activities in that season.

Tacrolimus eye ointment has shown promising results with good long term use in very severe conditions. Your doctor may consider it if things become severe.

Ask im to avoid direct exposure to sun/harsh fumes/smoke.

Hope this helps.

Take care and best wishes

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is all year around but he gets flare up more in spring/summer. We try to limit his exposure to possible allergens but couldn’t identify an allergen as he seems get flare ups at random even during winter.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you think it might still damage his vision even when it is treated promptly and accordingly?

With proper and prompt treatment there should not be any risk or threat to visual loss.

Don't worry as most children overcome this problem and are rid of symptoms by their teens.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you very much Dr. Desai. Have a great day.