Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.
25407765

Desai, I have a new question about my son’s eye health. He

Hi Dr. Desai,I have a new question about my son’s eye health. He was diagnosed with astigmatism last year. His refraction results are;Right eye +1.00/-2.25/10
Left eye +0.75/-1.75/170He is currenly wearing glasses and his eyes will be tested again in 2 months.We were told his eyes might get better and might not need glasses in the future. What is the outlook for his astigmatism in your opinion?

Thank you for requesting me to answer this question.

In children the eyeball continues to grow upto 6 years of age until it reaches adult size. In some children it may continue to grow for some more years also. Thus refractive errors in children need to be closely monitored. Similarly in your son's case the hyperopia component is likely to go and the residual astigmatism is likely to reduce. Less than 0.75 - 1.00 D astigmatism can be left alone if it does not cause any visual reduction. At the next visit after 2 months, it would become more clear about ow much of residual refractive error is there.

If it keeps reducing, he may not require glasses later in life.

Wishing him well and God bless him.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you very much Dr. Desai.