Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.
25407765

I had laiser eye surgery was told it would last at least 5

I had laiser eye surgery was told it would last at least 5 years 7 years later eyes aren't as strong. Can I demand they redo for free?

Thank you for the question. I am Dr.Desai, certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to answering this question.

There are many different types of Laser eye surgeries for different parts of the eye. Can you please specify which type of laser eye surgery you have undergone? Name of the surgery? For which eye problem was it done?

For example a Laser surgery done for refractive error such as myopia( short sightedness) is LASIK.

Could you also specify why you feel that the eyes aren't as strong now?

Have you noticed any worsening of vision ?

I look forward to your reply and additional information.

Dr.Desai

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Lasik

Thank you for the reply.

I am not sure why you feel that your eyes are not strong as before. I assume that for 7 years following LASIK, you enjoyed good clarity of vision but have noticed blurring now.

One of the possibilities is that if you have noticed the blurring of vision , which more so for close by objects as in reading or writing, but have clear vision for far away objects, then it could be because you are approaching the presbyopic age.

I don't foresee any drastic change in distance vision following LASIK unless you develop some other cause for decreasing distance vision such as - raised blood sugar levels , early cataract, associated eye diseases such as glaucoma, age related astigmatism.

It is very unlikely that they would redo another laser for free. Since you had satisfactory vision for 7 years following lasik, the present decrease in vision may not be related to this.

Hope this answers your question.

Do remember to rate this answer positively so as to credit me for my time and advise.

Dr.Desai