Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.
25407765

I've had glasses since I was 12 years old. I'm

Hello,So I've had glasses since I was 12 years old. I'm short-sighted, minus 2.25 on both eyes. I wanted to get laser eye surgery and wanted to know if there were any complications in getting this done. I have some anxiety about to procedure and wanted to be sure.I will be going to Iran for vacation and wanted to get it done there, my older brother has had it done there too and from what my doctors tell me that the health care professionals in Iran are stellar, needless to say, I'd like your take on getting it done in Iran also.For me some irrational paranoia about going blind comes to my mind, I do have minor astigmatism in my left eye in which in my last appointment they said it is so minor that you don't even need to change your prescription. I run a company on my laptop so my vision is needed all the time. I was wondering the recovery times would be also.If there is any pain, things of that nature.Thank you very much for your time.Nav

Thank for the question. I am Dr.Desai, certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to answering this question for you.

First of all, I would like to clarify that getting laser treatment to get rid of glasses will not make you go blind.

It is an absolutely painless procedure which would take only a few minutes to be precise excluding the pre and post procedure time.

The first and foremost thing to be done is to get a fitness for surgery done.

Once you approach a refractive surgeon, his team will conduct a few tests to assess a few things in your eyes such as corneal thickness, dilated fundus exam for peripheral retina. If both of these meet the criteria for selection, then you will be given the option of undergoing LASIK surgery.

There are other methods also such as SMILE procedure and you may enquire about the same with your doctor.

Since a very thin flap of the cornea is taken during Lasik, there might be flap related issues later. Common complaints following procedure are dry eyes and glare or halos around lights. However these are not very serious and can be overcome over a period of time.

As for quality of surgery in Iran, I believe it is good. However I am not in a position to comment about the expertise of any particular surgeon or hospital .

I hope this answers your question to the point.

Do rate this response positively, if you find it satisfactory.

Best wishes and regards

Dr.Desai

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You are truly incredible for taking the time for this thoughtful reply.I’m going to rate you 5 stars the second I get home!
Thank you for the reply. I was looking forward to your positive rating which you offered to do once you would reach home. Thank you
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical experience, well versed with all eye diseases.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello again, Dr Desai,I was planning on getting laser correction surgery in January but I’ve been seeing horror stories online how complications that have occurred for people.I’m very disheartened as I was hoping to do this procedure but I’m worried something could go wrong.From you experience what is the likely hood of worst case scenarios and do the comprehensive tests on eye health help with seeing if there are any potential issues.
Thank you for the question.
Just as in case of any surgery, there can be complications arising out of LASIK procedure also. But that does not mean everyone who undergoes the procedure is likely to have them. The complications are not common. If your gear is about going blind following the procedure , then let me assure you that it will not be so.
Common issues are dry eyes and glare.
Comprehensive tests done routinely do not cover all aspects of screening. Tear film assessment, stability of power of spectacles in the last 3 years-old should have remained unchanged, peripheral retina status, corneal thickness and topography are some specific tests done prior to LASIK.
Please talk to your ophthalmologist regarding eye fitness for undergoing LASIK and do voice your concern too.
Once you are found fit, you can undergo counseling for undergoing treatment.
Hope this helps.
Have a good day
Dr.Desai

The fact that your brother has undergone the same procedure already , should allay your fears in this regard.

It is very rare for serious complications to occur in the hands of very experienced , good surgeons.

If your concern is too much regarding corneal flap related issues ( you might have read about these online), then there is another surgical option of SMILE- small incision lenticule extraction. No flap is taken here and is very safe also. I am not sure about the cost however.

All the best.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Dr. Desai.I do feel better now. My brother did PRK and while he is happy he did say it was uncomfortable that being said he didn’t pass his fitness test but insisted the doctor proceed.I’ll speak to my surgeon and let you know what he says.

Yes, I am glad to know that you are feeling better now. It surely would help to talk to your surgeon about all your apprehensions before you undergo the procedure.

Take care.