Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (non-eye specialty)
Experience:  29 years of primary care practice
19706630

A few weeks back i woke up during the night and had black

A few weeks back i woke up during the night and had black curtain like vision in my left hour for about 1 hour. A few days later the same happened on the same eye for about 5 mins. Ive been to the optician and he says my eyes are in good condition
JA: The Ophthalmologist can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: a few weeks ago
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: i have an astigmatism in my right eye. one morning with i would up i had a blue sea like vision for a few seconds
Hi. Please answer some questions so I can help you. You age? Any medical problems? On any meds?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
44. Tension headaches. Iron, folic acid, pramipexole & atorovastatin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive also had an mri scan and have stroke, ms and parkinsons ruled out
Did you have a carotid ultrasound?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a cervical spin mri also
The two conditions that come to mind are a TIA. That’s like a mini stroke with symptoms that last an hour or less. When there’s a black curtain effect it’s called amarosis feugax. The brain mri will be normal with a tia.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thats why the scan was done for stroke/tia
You’re on cholesterol medication. That’s a risk factor for carotid artery blockage and tia. Are there other risk factors such as smoking or family history?
But was any test done to check your carotid arteries for blockage? An mri of the brain doesn’t do that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't smoke, both parents have had tia's and are both on atoravastatin. i have only been on it since attending ED who referred me to the stoke clinic or ordered mri
You need a carotid ultrasound as the first test. I’m still concerned that these two episodes were TIAs. Further workup is with a CT angiogram or MR angiogram. You have risk factors for tia and stroke. You should be on a baby aspirin daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my optician gave me drops for dry eyes and blephaclean wipes for my eye lids
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was on aspirin until I got my scan results and then was told to stop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
300mg
With amaurosis fugax the eye exam is normal. You shoe on a baby aspirin daily. Your carotid artery wasn’t evaluated from what you’ve told me . This is a very important part of the workup.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would it not have been picked up on neck mri scan
No. It would not detect a problem with the carotid artery.
Only an mri with IV contrast and attention to the carotid arteries will detect a blockage. A cervical spine mri just looks at the spine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do i go back to gp or optician
Forget about the optician. See your gp and get a carotid ultrasound done. The most important test you need hasn’t been done. With your history the carotid ultrasound would be the first test I would have done. Not an mri
Your gp has missed an important test.
Does that answer your questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why has it only happened in hte dark adn not during day light
I have no,idea. When the black curtain occurs isn’t important. The fact that it did occur suggests amaerosis fugax until proven otherwise.
Do you follow me?
I haven’t heard from you. I hope you take my advice and get the carotid ultrasound.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My optician took photos of my eyes during the test. Would it not show anything abnormal
Nothing the optician did would check your carotid arteries. An optician isn’t a physician and doesn’t treat TIAs.
No picture he took would show anything related to a tia
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would my problem you think have anything to do with tinnitus as I also have constant tingling, buzzing sensation in my eats
No, it’s not related to tinnitus
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was with my GP and the stroke doctor had amaurosis fugax ruled out before I had the mri scan. my optician is writing to my gp re the same condition. the gp says they can't refer for scan - it has to come from a consultant. I'm not having much success!
If you haven’t had a carotid ultrasound then there’s no way to have ruled out carotid disease causing amaurosis fugax. None of the tests you discussed with me examined your carotid arteries.
Here’s a nice article to read
https://www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/patient-information-leaflets/ophthalmology%20amaurosis%20fugax%20transient%20monocular%20blindness.htm
Has this information been helpful for you?
Then have your gp send you to another neurologist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My gp says that a neurologist would deal with the illness that my mri ruled out
I don’t know what you mean by that. I don’t see that they worked you up for a tia.
The mri didn’t rule out a tia, which is what amaurosis fugax is.