wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  I have over two decades of clinical experience and am also a retina specialist.
48069651

I was diagnosed w anisometropia when I lived in the US (for

I was diagnosed w anisometropia when I lived in the US (for a couple of years) at a routine eye test. One of my eyes have been always better than the other and I instinctively I didn’t wear my glasses only when really needed (cinema, driving etc). My eyes got a lot worse since my last routine eye exam w Specsavers (now it’s -6 diopters difference between my eyes -0.5 and -6.5). I was shocked to receive a prescription because as far as I know the difference cannot be more than 2-3 diopters...I can’t tolerate continuous use due to bad eye strain and not perceiving depth properly (for example I can’t walk on stairs w my glasses on). I now need reading glasses as well - same issue as the “pictures” come to my eyes from different position of distance which feels uncomfortable. Now I have a new job where I drive daily and a lot and I do need to wear my glasses until I finish my job...however by evening my eyes are in burning pain and get frequent headaches. I won’t buy another (stronger) pair of glasses from Specsavers - it would only make things worse. What do you recommend I should do? Do I need a referral? Is there any way to treat this?
JA: The Ophthalmologist can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?
Customer: Yes, all my adult life more or less but especially after work lately
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing relevant

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

How old are you?

m/f?

Have you ever had your corneal thickness measured to see if you could have LASIK safely?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
51 /no, never/fluoxetine 20 mg for maintains dose for depression but I do not have depression at the moment/bad headaches or migraines
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Female

Th easiest thing to do would wear contacts, or at least one contact in your -6.5D eye.

This, using bifocal contacts or reading glasses over your contact(s) should solve your issues.

You could also have LASIK in your myopic eye and, once again, use over the counter reading glasses for near tasks.

So. As you can see, there are solutions for your anisometropia.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS