Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I have a bubble in my eye after surgery my surgeon wants to

I have a bubble in my eye after surgery my surgeon wants to operate again to remove it. I have heard that it can also be removed by steroid ointment is this true?
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: 3 months ago my eye pressure is 28 in the eye which he reattatched the retina , very little vision in that eye
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Yes I have asthma and respond badly to general anaesthetics
hello, thank you for your question. is the bubble on the whites of your eyes or inside your eye? what procedure did your have for the retina detachment?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The bubble was inserted by the surgeon to help smooth the retina .I had an operation lasting at least an hour. He also used a buckle.
thank you for the additional information. it is very common to inject a gas bubble to help the retina reattach. the gas bubble will dissolve slowly on its own. it can last in the eye for up to 2 months. since your surgery was 3 months ago, it is likely the gas bubble is no longer there.
you can have swelling of the retina however, which looks like little bubbles on the picture. this can be treated with eyedrops or sometimes an injection of steroid into the eye.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No the operation was in sept 2018 I last was examined by my surgeon in sept/ oct 2019. He wants to operate to remove the bubble as the pressure is 28 . I am trying to find an alternative as I react badly to general anaesthetic . Would drops/ ointment help?

hi, did you have silicone oil placed in the eye?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I am not sure what was in the bubble but it was put inside my eye.
i suspect you have a silicone oil in the eye. it can be left in the eye for a long time, but if causing problems such as increased eye pressure, then it should be removed. unfortunately, medicines are not able to dissolve it.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What is the normal measurement for eye pressure?

normal pressure of the eye is 10-21 mmHg.