Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I was in Costa Rica and vollenteering on a beach for a few

Hello, I was in Costa Rica and vollenteering on a beach for a few weeks. During this time unfortunately sand got under my contacts on a few occasions and I wasn't always able to take them out at night due to night patrols. Since this time, my eyes have been bloodshot and I'm unable to wear my contacts any more. The bloodshot is mostly on the inner corner of my eyeballs. I seen an optician who suggested an allergy eye drop, gel eye drops and an over night ointment. This stuff makes the issue manageable but I really want to find a solution that will enable me to wear contacts again. My eyes are more dry than normal which the eye drops help with. Please help me. Thank you.
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: In January, vision is fine. Pain in left eye occasionally, dry eyes and bloodshot (mostly on inner corners).
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No

hello, my name is ***** ***** an eye doctor in the usa.

are you still wearing your contact lenses regularly? if not, when was the last time you used them?

do you have glasses to use as back up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr James, I haven't worn my contact lenses since January and now wear glasses with an up to date prescription. The optician advised me not to wear my contact lenses until at least June and he will review my eyes then. With the COVID 19 restrictions I'm worried that I might not be able to see him as planned. Any help or advice you can provide me is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

contact lens use over time can cause the surface of your eyes (cornea) to get rough over time. when that happens, it is important to rest your eyes for a period of time to allow the cornea to heal. using lubricating artificial tears that you are doing well will this healing process. the time to rest from your contact lenses varies depending on the roughness of your cornea. this can be a few days to a few months.

coronavirus enters the body through mucous membrane (mouth, nose, eyes). it is recommend during this time to not use contact lenses is possible so to decrease the risk of the virus coming into contact with the eyes.

hopefully, your eyes heals soon and the virus situation will get under control.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything I can do that could aid the healing process? The slightest thing that touches my eyes including water seems to make the bloodshot angrier. Is this normal?

the reaction to just water tells me that your eyes are still quite sensitive and not ready for contact lens use yet. you may benefit from a steroid eye drop to help speed up the healing process. you can check with the optometrist you saw before to see if this would be a good option.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you so much for your help. Take care and stay safe.

you are welcome. you too!