Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I have previously spoken to a Doctor in here and just

I have previously spoken to a Doctor in here and just looking for a second opinion. For over a week now, I've had a slight burning sensation in my eyes/lower eyelid. My eyes are also mildy bloodshot all day long.To add a bit of further information, I usually wear glasses but havent been regularly since lockdown. I do spend a lot of time looking at my phone or TV and often watch in poor lighting. I clean out animal stables for work every morning. I havent suffered with anything like this before. Anti-histamines do provide temporary relief. As do hot drinks/food.I have orally measured my temperature on 3 separate occasions today, with reading of 36.4c at 2pm, 37 at 4pm and 6.30pm.I am mainly worried/concerned that this is an early sign of COVID.Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File attached (5V3L3QV)

hi, thank you for your question and photos.

I see a small bump on the inside of they eyelid typical for a stye. a stye is a like a pimple but on the eyelid (blocked oil gland). using artificial tears 3-4 times per day over the counter helps relieve any irritation. using warm compresses 2-3 times per day 15 minutes at a time will help unclog the blocked oil gland.

covid infections in the eye will present as pink eye or conjunctivitis. the good news is your photo does not show any signs of pink eye.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whereabouts are you seeing the stye?
Also, it's both eyes that are sore.

right eye bottom eyelid slight to the right mid-portion.

dry eyes can cause soreness and likely present in both eyes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. My symptoms do seem to ease with anti-histamines. Would that be the case for either of those?I'm unsure it can be hayfever though as I've never had it. The anti-histamines seem to wear off within a few hours and then my eyes are sore sometimes up until bed time

hi, antihistamines are great to reduce the reaction from allergy. one of the side effects of allergy medicines (drops and pills) is reduce eye secretions and dry eyes. so the artificial tears help with this as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it feasible for hayfever to only present as burning eyes? I dont really get sneezy, snotty, runny eyes etc

yes, it is common for hayfever of burning eyes. usually accompanied by itching.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There isnt any itching at all.Also hypotherically, if my eye issue was caused by a virus or a fever, anti-histamines would not have any effect right? I.e they wouldnt lower temperature or relieve the pain

possible that this could be a virus but i put that likelihood very low since the eye is not very red. more likely hayfever or dry eyes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that. Anti-histamines dont reduce body temperature do they?

anti-histamines would not affect body temperature.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brilliant. Okay. Thank you very much for your help. I will go down the route you suggested with fake tears.

you are welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, just a quick query. Zinc or Vitamin D3 doesn't have any affect on the eyes does it?
I've been taking supplements about the same amount of time that I've had these issues. I imagine it's just coincidence
hi, zinc has been shown to be beneficial for eye health specifically the retina and macular degeneration. some studies have shown low vitamin d may contribute to dry eyes, so vit d supplements may help for this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay.I took.a recommended antibody test today for COVID. It came back negative. The developers state that because I have had the symptom I felt was potentially COVID for around 10 days now, it means the test more than likely indicates that I'm in the clear. Does this sound correct to you?
hi, that is good news the test came negative. chances you are in the clear.