Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I can tell I have a difference in pressure in my left eye

I can tell I have a difference in pressure in my left eye compared to my right. I have just been checked and they confirmed difference however they told me it’s unusual to notice so why can I feel the it?

Information Not Advice; No Client-Professional Relationship
Answers of Experts on the Site are provided by Experts and are to be used by Customers for general information purposes only, not as a substitute for in-person evaluation or specific professional (medical, legal, veterinary, tax, financial, etc.) advice. For example, Experts in the Legal category will provide only general information about the law, and will not provide legal advice nor propose a specific course of action for a Customer. By answering questions, Experts do not intend to form, and do not form attorney-client or doctor-patient relationships with Users of the Site. The laws, regulations, other governing authorities, standards, practices and procedures that apply to your particular question may differ depending on your location and information typically discovered through in-person evaluations or visits. Experts in some categories may be licensed, certified, educated, employed by or have experience in only particular jurisdictions.

No professional-client relationships shall be formed on the Site. Communications on this Site are not confidential and shall not be the subject of any associated privileges. Communications on this Site are limited, as described above, do not involve in-person evaluations or visits, and do not include safeguards and procedures typical of in-person evaluations and visits.

Before you can interact with an Expert, you will be required to agree to a Disclaimer reminding you of these and other important provisions of the Terms.

hello, when did you have your eye exam? what were the pressure readings?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I had it today. The pressure readings were 14 in left eye and 18 in right.
On April 4th I was taken to hospital after reaction to one aspirin tablet. I had complete vision loss twice during my hospital visit and suffered black cobwebs in my eyes and pressure in right eye ever since.
Whats strange is u notice the pressure although I was told the readings were fine. Is it possible to notice this type of pressure difference?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I also noted that the vision loss was experienced when my head was resting backwards as if I had blocked something in my neck. Today I was advised the visual cortex is somewhere that may explain the cobwebs as it is often associated with migrane aura. Is it possible that visual cortex problems or pressure can cause black stringy cobwebs in vision?

hi, normal eye pressure readings is between 10-21 mmHg. most people are only able to sense the eye pressure when it is very high, usually numbers 30 or above. it is uncommon for people to sense a pressure difference of 4mmHg, especially when the pressure is in the normal range. it is common for people to sense their eye feeling pressure or swollen if it is dry. using eye drops such as artificial tears can help relieve this pressure sensation. you can get these drops over the counter.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok thank you.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I was told last month I had blepharitis after my most recent traumatic incident in hospital I was told the blepharitis has worsened. Can this condition be associated to any autoimmune issues? I am only 34yrs old I had a number of traumatic neurological issues since February. Blepharitis has appeared since these problems I did not suffer in January. Is there any neurological or autoimmune reason for this worsening?

hi, blepharitis is a very common condition where you get debris which builds up at the base of your eyelashes. cleaning your eyelashes with baby shampoo daily will help with this. there is a not a direct connection between neurological conditions and blepharitis. if you have any nerve injury which causes weakness of your facial muscles and weakness of blinking, this can in turn result in blepharitis.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
That’s interesting you say that I’ve had nerve pain and facial
Numbness also slight drooping of my eyelids. So that could be the reason for the worsening blepharitis. Thank you

yes, that is a possibility if you have weakness of your eyelids.

you're welcome.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
If my eyelids are effected by nerve damage can the muscles of my eyes also be?

eyelid muscles and eye muscles are controlled by different nerves, so unlikely both are affected.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thank you. I have also been suffering severe ear pressure so wondered if these are part of the same nerves or different.

The ear pressure may be related to sinus issues, which can also cause eye issues as well.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No I don’t have sinus issues. Thank you for your answers.

you're welcome.