Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Since a cataract removal 3 years ago on my left eye I’ve had

Since a cataract removal 3 years ago on my left eye I’ve had to push each pair of spectacles high up on my nose in order to read clearly, meaning only short reading sessions. Focusing with this eye is now worse, mainly close vision, and I’m becoming quite distressed
JA: The Ophthalmologist can help. To begin, when was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: 2 weeks ago. I often have to blink to focus.
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Ophthalmologist should know?
Customer: No, I’m a very healthy 81 yr old with only Atrial Fibrillation needing medication.

Information Not Advice; No Client-Professional Relationship
Answers of Experts on the Site are provided by Experts and are to be used by Customers for general information purposes only, not as a substitute for in-person evaluation or specific professional (medical, legal, veterinary, tax, financial, etc.) advice. For example, Experts in the Legal category will provide only general information about the law, and will not provide legal advice nor propose a specific course of action for a Customer. By answering questions, Experts do not intend to form, and do not form attorney-client or doctor-patient relationships with Users of the Site. The laws, regulations, other governing authorities, standards, practices and procedures that apply to your particular question may differ depending on your location and information typically discovered through in-person evaluations or visits. Experts in some categories may be licensed, certified, educated, employed by or have experience in only particular jurisdictions.

No professional-client relationships shall be formed on the Site. Communications on this Site are not confidential and shall not be the subject of any associated privileges. Communications on this Site are limited, as described above, do not involve in-person evaluations or visits, and do not include safeguards and procedures typical of in-person evaluations and visits.

Before you can interact with an Expert, you will be required to agree to a Disclaimer reminding you of these and other important provisions of the Terms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree

thank you for your question.

dry eyes can be a frequent cause of difficulty focusing. cataract surgery often improves vision but can also worsen pre-existing dry eyes. regular use of artificial tears, moisturizing eye drops can help. using these drops over the counter at least 4 times per day is best. if this helps but not long lasting, you can consider seeing your doctors for other options such as punctal plugs or prescription medicines.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have dry eyes and I use Clinitas Carbomer gel for it, but only twice a day. I’ll try to use it more. However the answer to my problem does not cover the fact of having to raise and hold my glasses high in order to read clearly, which is not normal and has been going on for 3 years!

the glasses issue may have to do with how the bifocal is set. if you are having to raise the glasses up, it tells me that the power of the reading part is too low. you may want to check with the optician to get the power of the bifocal increased or moved up higher on the lens.

i am committed to answer your questions until you are SATISFIED. this conversation is ongoing. let me know if you have other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. When I can afford it, I’ll have another eye test, Stroud easing that the reading area should be stronger. I only had new glasses in February, so I’ll have to wait a while!

hi, yes making the reading area both LARGER AND STRONGER should be help. no line progressive bifocal tends to have small reading areas. work with the optician to get the right fit for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. I'll come back to you once I have new glasses.