Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

Daughter who is 10 years old went to opticians today due to

Customer Question

Daughter who is 10 years old went to opticians today due to complaining of one eye having blurry vision. Her eye test showed 20/20 vision which is odd as she says the vision is blurry; but the retinol imaging taken showed one eye was clear the other eye (the one she says is blurry vision) was hazy to look at. Almost like a blurred picture. I asked the optician to retake the photos of eye - she did with the same outcome. She has sent across an urgent referral for opthmologist but says she doesn’t know what it is, now I am frantically worrying
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Have you been having any headaches?
Customer: No headaches - roughly 2 weeks
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No nothing at all
Category: Eye
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 13 days ago.

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff. Thank you for contacting us this evening.

I am sorry about your daughter and this worry his is causing you. The most common cause in children is something called Astigmatism, this causes a refractive problem due to the shape of the lens/eye, and can cause a blurry image, on examination and what your daughter is perceiving.

I do not think you have anything to be worried about, however further examination would obviously be useful to ensure this is not a problem.