Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth,
101124971

Red eye + conjunctival cyst - how to treat & will it

red eye + conjunctival cyst - how to treat & will it disappear?
Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 15 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.
Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
May I request you to upload an image please?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
please see attached photo.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Has been there for about 6 weeks at least now. No symptoms of the lump itself but eye has been irritated for months. When any water gets into the eyes when I wash, the whites of the eyes go almost totally red.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
no pain or itch from the lump, but eyes are always very dry & tired.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is there any concern about the lump - it looks fairly benign to me but it is quite ugly & I don't want this to grow. How can it be treated?
Please please hold on the image is downloading.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Also, I had a large eyelid cyst in the other eye earlier in the summer, but this resolved.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
skin at the corner of the eyes (especially the one with the lump) has been irritated also
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The outside corner of the eyes, towards the temple region.

Thank you for the images.

I am sorry for your symptoms.

This looks like allergic conjunctivitis.

The cyst may take 6 weeks to six months to completely settle down based on the irritation.

The most common symptoms of allergic conjunctivitis include redness, watery discharge, and itching of both eyes. Other symptoms can include burning, sensitivity to light, and swelling of the eyelids. Both eyes are usually affected, although symptoms may be worse in one eye. Rubbing the eyes can worsen symptoms.

There are a number of treatments available for the symptoms of allergic conjunctivitis. In addition, basic eye care is important.

Avoid rubbing the eyes. If itching is bothersome, use artificial tears, a cool compress, or antihistamine eye drops.

Minimize exposure to pollen by staying inside when possible, using air conditioning, and keeping car and home windows closed during the peak allergy seasons.

People with sudden-onset symptoms can use a combination antihistamine/vasoconstrictor eye drop four times daily for up to two weeks. These are available without a prescription.

People with seasonal or year-round symptoms are usually treated with a combination antihistamine/mast cell-stabilizer eye drop. Some of these require a prescription. Ketotifen and olopatadine are eye drops in this category that are available without a prescription.

An oral antihistamine may be most helpful when it is taken preventively (before symptoms develop). However, antihistamines may also be used to treat symptoms after they have started, although the greatest benefit may not be seen for several days.

If symptoms of allergic conjunctivitis do not improve after two to three weeks of the above treatments, you should see an ophthalmologist for evaluation.

I suggest -

1. Eye drops containing Cromolyn sodium one drop three times a day in each eye for 2 weeks at least.

2. Tablet Claritin one tablet once daily at night for a period of initial 7 days.

This will have synergistic effect till the Cromolyn eye drops take effect.

3. Tablet Montelukast 10 mg 1 tablet once daily free period of 2 weeks. You need to take this at around 6:00 p.m. daily.

These are prescription medications but will give you very good relief and that too long lasting one.

May I suggest you discuss these with your primary care physician and get yourself appropriately evaluated and managed please.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you! Please do let me know if you need any further clarification in this regard and we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you - so no concern over the lump itself? i.e. no chance of a tumour etc?
Hundred percent not tumor.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
perfect thanks! you have been a great help.

I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease.

Happy to help. If you feel I had helped you, a positive feedback is solicited and highly appreciated.

In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.