Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

How do I know if my eyes are playing up due to tiredness

Hi. How do I know if my eyes are playing up due to tiredness from constant screen exposure or something serious?They feel bit blury, heavy, little red. Had eye annual check in december, other than glasses change, no issues.The reason I ask is because friend of mine had vision problem in one eye, they discovered blood behind it and eventually was diagnosed with blood cancer.

hi,

excess screen time can cause eye strain and dryness due to decrease blink. this can be the reason for the heavy red eyes.

looking away from the screen every 20 minutes and using artificial tears eye lubricants 3-4 times per day will help.

diabetes is a concern for eye bleeding but it is good news you had a good check up just a few months ago.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I dont have any diabetes symptoms.
Can I not worry?

that's good news you do not have diabetes.

no need to worry.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well I can't be sure. Never been tested, other than the blured vision I have no symptoms on the list.My glasses are also not last prescription so this might add?I had right eye issue and twitches when they checked eyes in december, so can I be assured that what I am experiencing is nothing serious?

your symptoms are more common with dry eyes and not specific for diabetes.

check with your doctor for diabetes blood test to make sure.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I had full blood count june 2020. All fine. Is it too much out of date?

June 2020 is good. not out of date at all.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, good. So likelihood is strain?
I am an accountant and spend 12 hours a day on small numbers on screen. I also wear glasses that are out of date

correct, likely strain from excess screen time, eye dryness.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, will rest them