Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

I'm experiencing an eye issue. They are both swollen and red

Hi, I'm experiencing an eye issue. They are both swollen and red Can I book a video consultation?
JA: How long have you had the swelling? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: It started with the right eye 2 days ago and I woke up this morning with the left eye in the same conditions
JA: Got it. Have you seen a doctor about the swelling?
Customer: Not yet as it was annoying but not very painful Still is not very painful but I'm quite concernde
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Don't think so

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani. I have 16 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I am currently reviewing your question.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you, I'm about to send images of the eyes.

Can you upload an image of the eyes please?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sure
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Let's switch to a call, would be easier I'm sure
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi doctor, did you see the images?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Doctor?
Calling now
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Calling me then?

Hello...I understand your concern.

This is usually called pink eye and the reasons can be viral or bacterial conjunctivitis...Mostly viral as there is no purulent eye discharge.

Pink eye is the everyday term people use to describe an infection or irritation of the eye. The medical term for pink eye is "conjunctivitis."

If you have pink eye, your eye (or eyes) might:

●Turn pink or red

●Weep or ooze a gooey liquid

●Become itchy or burn

●Get stuck shut, especially when you first wake up

Pink eye can be caused by an infection, allergies, or an unknown irritation.

When pink eye is caused by an infection, it can spread easily. Usually, people catch it from touching something that has been in contact with an infected person's eye. It can also be spread when an infected person touches someone else, and then that person touches his or her eyes.

Most cases of pink eye go away on their own without treatment.

You can use OTC - lubricant eye drops.

https://www.amazon.com/Systane-Ultra-Lubricant-Drops-10-mL/dp/B0036B8QL0/ref=zg_bs_3779741_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MX7Q57XREY5V9HXCRYEN

For the itching you can take either one of these -

1. Tablet Claritin 10mg once daily for 2 - 3 days.

OR

2. Tablet Benadryl 25mg 1 tablet three times a day for 2 - 3 days.

Both of these are over the counter.

But some types of pink eye can be treated.

When pink eye is caused by infection, it is usually caused by a virus (like what it seems here), so antibiotics will not help. Still, pink eye caused by a virus can last several days. Pink eye caused by an infection with bacteria can be treated with antibiotic eye drops or gels.

Pink eye caused by other problems can be treated with eye drops normally used to treat allergies. These drops will not cure the pink eye, but they can help with itchiness and irritation.

When using eye drops for infection, do not touch your good eye after touching your affected eye, and do not touch the bottle or dropper directly in one eye and then use it in the other. Doing these things can cause the infection to spread from one eye to the other.

There are things you can do to help ease your symptoms.

Use clean cotton wool (1 piece for each eye). Boil water and then let it cool down before you:

• gently rub your eyelashes to clean off crusts

• hold a cold flannel on your eyes for a few minutes to cool them down

Do not wear contact lenses until your eyes are better.

I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease.

In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800